April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (smlekid, SKB, 1 invisible), 857 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,832
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 55 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 54 55
Sidelock
Sidelock

And here i thought you switched to Geico.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Certainly Doug. However, my increasingly squishy brain needs to focus on one issue at a time in order to understand it

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
dbadcraig:

I usually don't trust web sources without a text, but that is interesting. So, would you say that cast iron barrels were being rifled in Vienna late in the 15th century?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Raimey-

I have my BA in History and have been a practicing attorney many years (and outside of the Bible, which is another topic as this involves faith) I wouldn't trust any single source of information for anything!

However, the materials I quoted rang true with my schooling, which is why I selected that quoted material.

As for who was rifling what in Vienna, I will leave that for someone else to tackle.

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

revdocdrew:

Once again, nice post. And look in that we have come full circle and are importing scatterguns from Turkey, the once region of sought after barrels, once again.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

dbadcraig:

I don't dispute it at all. I have had the pleasure of being crossexamined by several of your profession and know that you wouldn't ask a question(or make a statement) to which you don't already know the answer. Thanks again.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 10/05/07 11:42 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The German blade smiths have done a lot of study into the history and making of damascus. While we currently seem to be lacking extentive documentation, there had to be German barrel makers producing damascus tubes.

For some interesting reading:
http://www.tf.uni-kiel.de/matwis/amat/def_en/articles/serpent/serpent.html
also
http://www.tf.uni-kiel.de/matwis/amat/def_en/kap_5/advanced/t5_1_1.html

This is a close up of a pattern welded spearhead circa 800 AD

A blade with pattern welding, circa 1700-1800

Another good source for following the middle eastern theme is Robert Elgood, "Firearms of the Islamic World: in the Tared Rajab Museum, Kuwait". The Victoria and Albert Museum in England have held exhibits of oriental, Persian, Indian, Ottoman firearms. Some are exquisite examples of pattern welded damascus. This same museum has a large collection of iron work from around the world.

I remember Oscar mentioning the importance of blacksmiths working with structural and decorative iron. The source was one he uncovered at the university library. I tried to obtain a copy and was stumped. I spoke to him on the phone about it and he just laughed. The "book" was an old doctoral thesis on file there. I guess it helps to be a university professor.

Pete

PeteM #59737 10/06/07 07:14 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

That bottom one has the same pattern as my Oriental rug.....I can see it now.

In 1810 the Maharaja flew to England on his Magic carpet to meet the best gun maker in England....
Joseph Manton along with the young Purdey and Boss were so inspired by the beautiful pattern on his Magic carpet that they decided to use it in the pattern of their Damascus shotgun barrels.

I'll take tWo bushels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

....likely not too far from the truth, except the magic carpets were sail, then later steam!

The cultural and economic exchange was going on through the East India Company starting in the 1600s. For centuries, England being an island nation of sea faring traders had unrivaled access to world markets.

No doubt commerce, particularly with the older civilizations such as India included the exchanges of ideas and technology not just raw materials.

Even without the possible technological underpinnings, "British Orientalism" and the oriental esthetic may have influenced the barrel patterns. During the time-frame in question (circa 1800s), oriental themes and tastes (e.g., carpets, tea and fine china) were high fashion.

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Only having a MA in American political history, I don't know a lot about the "ancient" world but I'd bet the fascination with Chinoisserie is a late development in cultural and technological co-optation. Think the Crusades and the caravan routes provided the big chances for window shopping the East. BICBW.

jack

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Someone please save me from myself

'Crolle' pattern Mina Khani design in rugs from Bijar, Baluch, and Ferahan
http://www.oldcarpet.com/rug_glossary.htm

Bakhshaish from Iranian Azerbaijan

Similar to 'Rose Pattern' Bernard II

Page 24 of 55 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 54 55

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.