March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, Marc Ret, graybeardtmm3, Ian Forrester, 1 invisible), 832 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't fish....don't hunt much more. But the stories and the prose on this line, some of it in staccato simple declarative sentence fashion, is striking, empathetic, poignant....almost Hemingway-ish. You guys can flat tell a story and write! And what's not said is as evocative as what is. It is Americana. (I remember Stanton's description of a lonely mallard looking for a mate and the swoosh of the wings). It all reminds you of Anglo-Saxon/Scottish back-country poetry.

Last edited by Argo44; 06/12/21 10:23 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

While she doesn't shoot, she loves to fish with her old dad. Daughter with the Brook Trout Tattoo. Gil
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

4 members like this: Cold Iron, Geo. Newbern, DAM16SXS, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

A good friend and I were planning a two week trip to Alaska last week of June and first week of July for salmon and trout fishing. We spent a few months prior tying flies for the trip and just before we were to depart he said he'd be bringing a couple of spinning rods as backups. I told him he would never become proficient at flyfishing if he continued to fall back on spinning gear. He finally relented to my insistence and left his spinning gear home.

He is a very proficient flyfisher today.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Parkers and Jim Paynes. Leonards and L.C. Smiths- Grangers and Greeners- the list is endless- but as the Gene Hill once said: "It's all about doing it right".. Without catch and release, the fly fishing sport of today would have died out, even on private waters like the Harriman Railroad Ranch in Idaho, the Gunnison in Colorado, etc. would not be what they are yet today. There is some inherent "snob appeal" I suppose is using these marque name on rods , reels, double guns- but- on those days when the trout aren't rising, or the grouse are spooky and fly way out of fair gun range, there is some pleasure is holding and admiring a fine rod and reel, or a side-by-side, thinking of the craftsmen that made those items, wondering what in inside of the H.L.Leonard or Ithaca factories were like in 1926--and if you like a pipe or a wee dram of Highland happiness, so be it- none of us will live forever. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you appreciate wry, dry humor and a sense of irony, this is your guy. I suspect that John owns a doublegun or two (from past stories he's written) but his focus is clearly on fishing. His affinity for bamboo rods and his articles on the subject (& one whole book, "Fishing Bamboo") got me started down that road long ago now. He's cost me alot of money and time over the years (all well-spent IMHO)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

His latest and arguably, his best so-far. His list of books is quite long, so... read at your own risk.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 06/14/21 09:10 AM.
1 member likes this: DAM16SXS
Sidelock
Sidelock

GLS, if my toddler daughter wants a brook trout tattoo when she reaches a suitable age, I may offer to pay for it and get a matching one!

1 member likes this: GLS
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Easy to appreciate the cover art of Bob White with Gierach himself as subject. A fine artist and, from all I read, and equally fine gentleman. And an exemplar of the doublegun/long rod fraternity.

This quote from Louis Cahill confirms Gierach’s place in the fraternity as well.

“A hundred bamboo fly rods, most of them old, are stacked on every flat surface and leaning against every wall. The room smells of oil cloth and leather. Beautiful old side-by-side shotguns guard every corner; the ones in racks on the wall next to oil paintings by Bob White. Rows of classic trout reels and larger Spey reels and in the far back corner of the room an old wooden office chair and, I trust, a desk hidden under that mound of hard bound books. This, I assume, is where the magic happens.”

Last edited by FallCreekFan; 06/15/21 08:46 AM.

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Researcher
Then you might as well add lip and mouth cancer.

You must be a blast at parties.

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Francis, the Harriman Ranch Section of the Henry's Fork has been public water for over a half century. The Railroad Ranch is now under the stewardship of the State of Idaho and is now a state park. I was able to fish it in the golden years before the fishing declined due to extreme water fluctuations from Island Park Reservoir releases in the winter to ensure water downstream for the potato farmers. John Gierach in his View From Rat Lake wrote that in the Bureau of Standards, a photo of it would be titled: "trout stream." Gil

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Dan S. W.
GLS, if my toddler daughter wants a brook trout tattoo when she reaches a suitable age, I may offer to pay for it and get a matching one!

Dan, after a trip Julia wrote this poem:

I cast and drop the line
In fast black flow,
the brook and rainbow yield to sun
and show,
My father gives the sign

And draws the slender curve
to land his fly
where a gold lip of water pools nearby,
and tugs the river’s wild nerve.

Gil

1 member likes this: Cold Iron
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.