March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (FlyChamps, cpa, Dan S. W., canvasback, 3 invisible), 803 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted...just get rid of the white spacers and use it for what it is.....a good phez 20ga....or sell it..

gunut
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LeFusil
Sell it and buy something that fits the bill without going through all the expenses of the wanted/needed conversions. Seems like an expensive project to fill a niche that you more than likely already have covered by guns you probably currently own. Just a thought.

Yea, that is an option, I suppose. They ain’t worth anything, though:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...ly-41-707-20ga-blne.cfm?gun_id=101648195

I actually think this guys pricing is optimistic. They sell for what an equivalent Spanish boxlock sells for, probably because not enough people know Richland imported a few Italian guns. The Italian guns, are better, no question.

But nobody knows or cares.

What is a comparable, subgauge, boxlock going to set me back? How does that price compare to what I have into this one (0) and what the cost for new front wood, and rasping the pistol grip off?

Might be the same money when the dust settles. The one I own would be done, fresh and serviced, the next one, maybe not so much.

Thinking out loud, mostly, but, the Richland might make up into a fine bird gun. It is basically new, as well.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,

You could keep the cost down by reshaping the existing stock and possibly the fore-end.

Many years ago I had pre-war BSA BLE with a semi-pistol grip.

Grange Guns at Redditch converted it to a diamond section straight hand using the original butt stock and reshaping the trigger guard tang.

The fore end was already a splinter shape.

I was pleased with the result but sold it on ( for much more than it would make now) when given the Edwinson Green BLE that has been my main gun ever since.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted;
Geeeeeez....its a fine bird gun now.....you just dont see it....tunnel vision....as good or better than your Nitro.....BTW your is a LOT nicer than the one you show for sale......

Last edited by gunut; 06/14/21 02:17 PM.

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

The one for sale has 26” barrels. A real tough sell these days. I would just rework the wood you have and shoot it. Having a fore end made is going to cost just as much as having a new butt stock made. Not cheap and just as much labor involved. If you decide to just alter what you have your cost should be much less. You are looking to make this a shooter more than just another safe queen. But what ever you do I would not shoot too many of those 3” bombs in that gun. The kick is real.

A well placed 7/8 ounce in a full choke barrel will kill just a much as a 12 gauge. Just smaller margin of error. I shoot a lot of game with 1/2ounce and as long as I range limit myself kill just as much or more than 12 gauges shooting with me. 7/8 or 1 ounce loads will do whatever you want. Just fix the gun to your needs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
Another possibility if you decide you don't want to do a project with it: perhaps give it to a young person who could enjoy it. Maybe there is a member here who knows a good candidate. I don't at present. Just a suggestion. Hasn't been that long ago I would have gladly bought it from you, but I'm no longer in the acquisition phase...
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Only kid, at the moment, is my own. He shoots right handed, and already has a small armory. None of the kids in our circle have any interest in a SXS gun. My boy always defers to his A5, over his Silver Snipe. Maybe time and experience will change that, or, not. I’m glad he has a bit of preference, at this point. Most of his friends are uninterested.

My 20s are pumps at the moment. They mostly sit. My own preferences were settled years ago. This would be an exercise in making the unused gun of a very good friend useful to me. The MN weapons collectors gun show was last weekend, and Carl and I went to the spring show every year for decades. It isn’t the same without him, and I didn’t go this year, passed some rifle ammunition to another friend who had a table. A few handfuls of .270, 30-06, .257 Bob, and some primed factory hulls for each netted $400.

Crazy.

My Nitro 16 is my non toxic shot gun. I use it locally with Heavi-shot, on places that require it. This might seem odd, but, most of my shotguns have a specific task for my use, and that use brings me a bit of joy. I’ve hunted the non toxic only spot a few counties north of me for almost 50 years. I feel good with the old Nitro there, remembering half a dozen generations of Setters who hunted it with me. To a one, the kids I hunted with back then have aged out. Sobering.

I could sell everything, buy a 20 autoloader, and use it for everything the rest of my life. It would be easy.

But, I won’t. I’d really like to use Carl’s gun a few times a season, and wish I had met him when he was young enough to tag along.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't fault you for trying to change it to suit you. But, I had a gun that was much the same. It was an SKB 200E, 20 gauge. I didn't care for it, even though I shot it well. Killed my first two Gambel's quail with it. Never could get past the bt forend, which looked so much like yours. Swapped it, and some boot, for a 20 SW Ejector. Really good move for me. Love the Sterly 20.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just guessing the SKB didn’t come from a good friend.

It means a bit to me. Probably shouldn’t, but, it does.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, I bought it at auction. But, it went to a good friend. I do have some that have sentimental value, though. They'll never leave, in my lifetime. Didn't mean to imply you should swap it off. I should have been a bit more clear about that, in retrospect.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.