March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (Gunning Bird, Dave Weber, FlyChamps, ksauers1, 3 invisible), 287 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,995
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi,
My neighbour has a combination gun in this rifle calibre and having done all the comparisons the .223 Rem reloading dies appear to be good to use as all the dimensions except for the length of case below the shoulder are the same. The neck on .223 is 0.203" and on 5.6x50 is 0.266 so being longer should work for the neck sizing. The difference in length of the case below a .223 is only 0.147".
The dies for 5.6x50 are too expensive for the few times they would be used by me for him.
I have a sketch of all the dimensions but I cannot see a way to add this image to the post.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Forward the image to me & I'll gladly post it for you.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Will do.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot and reload for a combo gun in 5.6x50R/12ga, it is one of my favorite coyote hunting rifles. I have used a 22-250 die to neck size fired cases but found that the appropriate FL die is really nice to have.. They are only $82. at C&H4D, I used a generic .224 Hornady seater with the sliding sleeve to seat bullets.

[img]http://www.ch4d.com/products/dies/caliber-list[/img]

The Hornady hard cover reloading book has/had reloading data.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by oskar; 06/08/21 09:43 AM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

bavarianbrit,
I load for my 5.6x50R using Hornady dies and a 38 special shell holder( if rimless it would be 222/223 shell holder). They are regular production dies but I don't know the cost now since they were given to me after doing a favor for a friend. I suspect you can load 5.6x50R using .223 dies, but it would require "re-setting" the dies each time you do it. Fortunately, If the " locking rings" on the .223 dies are locked down and you are careful, you may not need to change them. Based on my experience with other calibers, I believe the following procedure will result in useable ammo. First take a lubricated case that was fired in your friend's rifle and smoke the neck/shoulder area with a lighter/candle/ matches. Screw the sizing die into the press a little at a time until it sizes the fired case and just "kisses" the shoulder( You can do this every time, or you might make a gage block of such thickness that placing it between the press and locking ring of the die results in the correct setting every time). You might make a manual depriming punch to avoid resetting the normal depriming punch every time you load 5.6( I find a manual punch very "handy" anyway. Note: the flash hole in some 5.6x50R cases may be smaller than normal for small rifle primers). After priming and charging the cases normally, you would set the seating die so the crimping shoulder just touches the case mouth( by feel) seat the bullets to the desired depth and if necessary to crimp, reset the die and crimp them all in another operation. I haven't found it necessary to crimp the bullets. If I confused anything, let me know and I will try to correct it.
Mike

Oskar,
I think the Hornady seating dies are great. The Nosler 60 grain partition bullet is great in the 5.6x50R, but I know you mostly hunt coyotes rather than deer.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 06/08/21 09:54 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I do hunt deer they tend to be rather large and I don't hunt from a stand but still hunt or track in the heavily forested areas of MN and WI so I don't get perfect shots every time. I tend to go with heavier rounds, the lightest I shoot is the 100gr .257 Partition in my 25-204.

I really like the Hornady seater and have converted almost all of my rifle die sets to use it. It is really nice with tiny bullets and my fumble fingers, never get a cocked bullet in the die.

I only crimp in heavy recoiling rifles (375 Win and 35 Whelen) and the 218 Bee in a lever rifle.

My goto bullet in the 5.6x50R is the 52gr Speer Flatbase HP.

Last edited by oskar; 06/08/21 10:57 AM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, super information. Neither he or I have a .223 it was just that the 5.6x dies are running 115 Euros over here and .223 dies used are around 25 Euros so I would just leave the locking ring fixed on the 5.6x dimension. I love a challenge though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

bavarianbrit,
While you are looking, don't forget Oskar has proven you can use 22-250 dies also.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 22-250 dies will just neck size works with mild once fire from the same rifle. Dies like the 5.6x57 will not work do to the thickness on that brasses neck.

Your dilemma is gamble 25 Euros or a sure thing at 115. I'd try placing some ads at shooting clubs for a used set of 5.6x50 dies.

I don't want to offend anyone but if you can spend a thousand plus on a rifle that will shoot relatively inexpensive S&B ammo and you want to reload for it why not do it right.

I'm not a well off guy, no mortgage or car payments and do almost everything by myself, plumbing, electrical, car repair and live pretty cheap, my spare money goes into hunting and fishing I'll make do with odd dies to see if a gun is worth keeping but if I'm going to give it a home it gets good dies.

Last edited by oskar; 06/08/21 04:44 PM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

They are all factory RWS cases fired from his rifle so full length sizing seems not to be needed, he is happy for me to give it a try for him, me? I am just fascinated by the reloading process and happy to try to sort him out, but 115 Euros is for me a bit high for maybe once a year reloading perhaps 40 rounds for him.
Thanks for all the input guys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.