March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gunning Bird, 3 invisible), 346 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#597673 06/03/21 10:26 AM
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

At seemingly the last minute, I had a project postpone. Instead of riding a drilling rig, I will be on Lake Gaston, piloting a pontoon boat for the family for a few days next week. That will be fine for a day or two, but after that I'll be looking for other entertainments. I can go back to Mid-South Guns to see if they've added anything interesting, or I can travel to the western part of the state and explore that region. "The Last of the Mohicans" was filmed in an obscure State Park there and it looked very intriguing to me. Anybody here know what I'll find when I get there?

Chimney Rock Park is the location I'll be attempting to visit.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 06/03/21 10:33 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are numerous filming locations for Last of the Mohicans in NC. Check https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104691/locations?ref_=tt_dt_loc for all of them.

Bruce

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just learned something here. I'd always figured Mohicans was filmed in the Northeast. I should've known it was North Carolina because the Blue Ridge has always reminded me of what Heaven must be like...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you hear any drumming out near chimney (grouse type) please share

1 member likes this: Cold Iron
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lived in Currituck for quite a few years when I was stationed in the Tidewater Area. Lake Gaston would not be my first choice to be this time of year. Then again on your way to WNC could you stop by Wake Forest and wish my mother who lives near my youngest sister there a Happy 84th Birthday for me please?

Did my twilight tour from the Navy in Asheville, lived in Arden and covered WNC. Then spent ~5 years working for a VAR after I retired. When they filmed The last of the Mohicans a lot of adds went out looking for film extras. Hard pass on that for me.

Not much in Chimney Rock, did do a golf course there with a friend a long time ago. We walked it and management was surprised and said most people use a cart. I was a LOT younger and it was a lot of up and down, did wish had a cart from what I recall. Never really cared for golf anyhow and would rather shoot golf balls by rolling them down the rib and flipping them in the air and shooting them. I can slice a golf ball as well with a shotgun as I can with a club.

Biltmore Estate seems to be the destination place everyone wants to go in WNC. Never went but everytime family came to visit they all went it was right up the road from me. $25 to visit always said if you gave me $25 a pop I'd have the largest home in the US also. I see they are up to $76 a whack now. You've got to be kidding me...

They have a sporting clays course there too but it is private from what I understand. And am sure way overpriced.

If it was me I'd keep on going West a bit and go to Cradle of Forestry in Pisgah. And up on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Then again if it was me I'd skip all that and just hit the Davidson River with the fly rod. But guess now every Tom, Dick and Harry fishes it.

Wouldn't bother with Chimney Rock so much. And for that matter Asheville always was the hippy capital of the East. From what a friend said that called last week that still lives there it is even worse now. There is always a Pagans, Heathens, and witches meet up going on someplace in Asheville. Just for a reference. He grew up there and is ready to move to Eastern Tn.

Originally Posted by GMCS

Pretty sure I shot the last ruff in WNC more than 20 years ago frown In Transylvania County. So I moved to Mn....

There is something special about Southern Appalachian grouse, as rare as they are. And not just because most of them seem to be red phase. Good luck to you in your search for them!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Cold Iron
Pretty sure I shot the last ruff in WNC more than 20 years ago frown In Transylvania County.

I hope you're not serious. https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/ruffed-grouse

Did you kill it after this publication was released in 2019?

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

stan, wishin hit were true...but, sadly, cept for northern maine, grouse huntin east of michigan, is a thing of the past...

Last edited by ed good; 06/04/21 08:15 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by Cold Iron
Pretty sure I shot the last ruff in WNC more than 20 years ago frown In Transylvania County.

I hope you're not serious. https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/ruffed-grouse

Did you kill it after this publication was released in 2019?

Well your a pretty smart man and didn't expect that one from you LOL. Then again those of us that hunt ruff especially in the East where thickets draw more blood from you than they do the bird when you finally flush one and shoot it are few and far inbetween anymore. Most of us understand each other. And our sick twisted humor :-) Think along the lines of Band of Brothers.

The friend that called me last week I hadn't talked to in 25 years. But we picked up where left off 25 years ago, as if it was yesterday. He hunted me down to let me know that a fellow shipmate, brother, passed away at the age of 57. Calvin was the engineman on a special boat unit and a teammate. We talked for more than an hour and a half. I normally have a hard time talking to anyone on the phone for more than 5 minutes.

We had hunted the ridges around Leicester where he grew up and actually shot a number of grouse back then, quite a few. Most sliding down the slope on your back with a poke and a hope through the Rhododendron. During our conversation I asked him how the grouse hunting was back there and he said he hadn't hunted it since I hunted it with him. Said there are houses on all those ridge tops now and no birds. Grouse are a lot like me. They don't care much for people. And habitat is shrinking fast.

They need new growth, much the same as deer, to survive. But also canopy cover for protection from birds of prey. Tree huggers have really interfered with the new growth part. Not much for bumper stickers but I do have one on the Taco in addition to the United States Navy Retired sticker.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Back to regular scheduled programming there are no grouse in Mn. either! They are all in Wisconsin where they are so numerous that they impale themselves on the antenna of your truck as you drive the roads to go hunting. Nope. No birds here....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ed good
stan, wishin hit were true...but, sadly, cept for northern maine, grouse huntin east of michigan, is a thing of the past...

Yeah, and someone thinks they probably killed the last wild quail east of the Mississippi River, too. But, there are still a few diehards that hunt them. They know there's not a lot like there used to be. But, they also know they didn't kill the last one.

Oh, and you're full of crap about no grouse east of Michigan. Last time I checked Pennsylvania is still east of Michigan, and I have a friend there who hunts grouse successfully every year ............ without a dog! You're evidently another one of those old farts who had rather beech and moan about "how things used to be" than get off your butt and enjoy yourself with what is there.

Do me a favor. Type your crap to someone else besides me.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.