March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, smlekid), 289 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#597513 05/30/21 03:59 PM
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When I think of all the battles I've fought over the years to get my birdguns to fit properly, the simplicity of making this new (to me) target gun really fit almost brings me to tears. I shot it twice with the stock in completely unaltered form and I shot it well. Having things like a left-hand palmswell on the gun (and not needing it to be in my shooting glove), a stock with an already neutral to slight cast-on, and long (& heavy) barrels made for very pleasant and successful shooting. And...after 100 rounds of 12-gauge, I didn't feel abused one bit with this 9-lb unit. The adjustable portions of the stock started to get a little loose at the end of the course so when I got it home, I cast about for information to make the final adjustments and then tighten it up. One phone call and two videos on You-Tube later, and I went after it with gusto. After many years (& many guns), I already have a pretty good idea about what the measurements needed to be so... I set about moving things around to closely mimic my game guns. It took a tape measure, an Allen-wrench and all of about 15-minutes and... I'm frankly stunned by how easy and consistently I mount this thing now. What that will translate to on the range is still unknown but I'm guessing I'll be on the targets much more quickly and consistently. Wish good birdguns were this easy.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 05/31/21 11:40 AM.
1 member likes this: Cold Iron
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gun fit is everything, and feel you did outstanding with your SKB. Once you get it dialed in leave it alone and just keep shooting it smile I am right handed and can't imagine myself being forced to shoot a left handed gun. And most guns are made for right handed people, glad you finally got something that is made for you. And is adjustable to fine tune.

For a decade and a half my clays gun was a Joel Etchen 687 SPII\682 Gold E Custom Combo. I eventually developed a flinch from shooting so much and for a few years ran a Precision Fit Stock system on it. Besides recoil reduction thy are fully adjustable in every way imaginable. But ugly as sin.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Once you get it dialed in leave it alone I ended using blue loctite on all the adjustment nuts when I dialed mine in. Seen enough shooters miss a bird or 2 with their PFS stock and the first thing they would do is start making adjustments. Then again most of them were trapshooters and that is a whole 'nother type of shooter LOL.

Eventually over the years weaned myself off the yips with the PFS stock and was able to put the EELL wood back on. But it still offered a fair amount of adjustment with the way I had it setup.

Couple of years ago finally sold it. Been using SxS guns for clays almost exclusively now. I went with Dickinson Plantation Sporters from Pacific Sporting Arms. They are made by AKUS, same as your SKB. Just with the bbls. twisted up alongside each other. AKUS makes a pretty decent gun IMO. First thing had done to it was an ISIS recoil reducing system installed and an adjustable comb cut.

The wood in the wrist did crack at ~7K rounds but that was no fault of AKUS. Knew when I picked it out that the grain in the Grade 4 wood at the wrist was running the wrong way but like a moth drawn to a flame I just couldn't help myself. It was a beautiful chuck of wood and just had to have it. Mark Larson repaired it for me, just got it back, and he did a fantastic job can't tell it had ever split and is now better than new.

Also picked up a 20 Ga. Plantation Sporter last year and been shooting that while the 12 was being worked on. After adjusting the LOP on it left the comb alone, factory dimensions fit me perfectly. Every once in awhile get lucky with fit, but not often. To the far right.

The first year double trigger Winchester 21 to the far left has a custom fit Wenig stock on it. That is the ultimate in gun fit IMO. But talking thousands of dollars.

Congrats on your new gun and being able to finally get a gun that fits you. Shoot it in good health and may many 12 ga. shells find their way to you sooner than later.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I really like the accu-riser buckle on pads with the different shim inserts. I think that is one in the bottom picture

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.