March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Marc Ret, Tim in PA, Sandlapper, 1 invisible), 785 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Argo44
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Allen Minish was alone and surveying land for a real estate agent in a wooded, remote part of Alaska, putting some numbers into his GPS unit when he looked up and saw a large brown bear walking about 30 feet away.

Sounds like every day for me minus the Bear. We Surveyors should receive hazardous pay? I tote either a Biks/Combo(w/ sling) or a Belgian Poacher's Gun in 32 bore in the U.S. of A. Outside of that, whatever I can lay my hands on @ the time.

The Poacher's gun folds up well & will fit in a backpack. Currently the Turks offer one in 0.410.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

If there were worries getting an 870 transported through Canada, a pistol might even be more difficult. Similar with ammo, if your boy stumbles on what you want him to use while he's in Alaska, he should probably grab it. Sometimes, ammo retailers won't ship out of the lower 48.

If you haven't committed to the pistol quite yet, you could also look over a Glock in 10mm, and similar ammo, and give some thought to the holster?

I believe last summer, hikers killed two grizzlies in Montana and Wyoming national parks with handguns. There're many videos of big bears popping out on trails very close to hikers, sometimes chasing other game animals. There are other animals that can get agitated and agressive.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by craigd
If there were worries getting an 870 transported through Canada, a pistol might even be more difficult. Similar with ammo, if your boy stumbles on what you want him to use while he's in Alaska, he should probably grab it. Sometimes, ammo retailers won't ship out of the lower 48.

If you haven't committed to the pistol quite yet, you could also look over a Glock in 10mm, and similar ammo, and give some thought to the holster?

I believe last summer, hikers killed two grizzlies in Montana and Wyoming national parks with handguns. There're many videos of big bears popping out on trails very close to hikers, sometimes chasing other game animals. There are other animals that can get agitated and agressive.

A pistol will be next to impossible.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just remembered that I purchased Dad a >>PaintBall<< pistol within the past couple years & it was really a non-lethal option with say 4 different nasty spheres loaded with odd stuff. I'll look for the name. I seem to recall it was a Byrna?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

9mm is on the low end of power but with it you have increased his ability to fight back from strong words and spit, to loud bangs and moderate hot lead. Now make sure you can get him to carry it 100% of the time. People who underestimate the risk often become slack about being prepared and after a period of nothing happening you naturally think nothing will ever happen.

That story above is too much like my personal experience except I was three times further away from the bear and I had a .270. Bears are faster than you ever dream they could be. Perhaps some bears will pause and hesitate before charging. Mine charged the second he saw me and was at top speed in ten feet. Bears are bad news to me. If I ever go back to Alaska I am either going to have a large caliber handgun or more likely a pump shotgun loaded as they say for bear. But most likely I’ll never step foot into the bush in Alaska again. The bears have me buffaloed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LGF
Argo, for your son you might consider a .45 modified to shoot .460 Rowland, a simple conversion on a 1911 https://clarkcustomguns.com/product/460-rowland-conversion-kit-for-1911/ or Glock 21 https://www.460rowland.com/

It is the ballistic equivalent of a light .44 Magnum: 230 gr at 1350 fps, or 255 gr at 1300 fps. When working around lions, I carry a high capacity Paraordnance, which holds 14 in the standard magazine or 17 with an extended basepad. Not nearly what you want for a big angry carnivore but a lot better than a 9mm or .45, or a long gun back in the truck.
There is also a magtech attachment that you slide the 1911 lower on and makes a compact 460 rowland carbine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A good friend was filming a TV hunting show in AK. He's a great outdoorsman and hunter, but wasn't carrying while filming. A local asked if he had a bear gun. He said no, that he was watching close. The local handed him a short barrelled .44 mag. revolver to keep while he was there. My friend hefted it and said he bet it kicked bad, being so lightweight. Local said son, you won't even notice it when its in a grizzly's mouth.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: 67galaxie
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've always heard in bear country it's better to be with at least one other person. In that situation, big bore isn't required in a handgun. .22, .25 or .32 are sufficient. As the two of you flee from the bear, shoot friend in knee to slow him down.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Note to self.....Never hunt with Gil

1 member likes this: GLS
Sidelock
Sidelock

For about the first thirty years I was going to Kodiak, AK, I never saw a bear while fishing anywhere around the road system. In the more recent 16 Moose & Goose has cracked down on ranchers, deer hunters and other locals keeping them shot down and now they are everywhere. I've been run out of fishing spots and they have been in our yard right in town.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Authorities shot rubber bullets at this young guy several times as he wandered the neighborhoods, and finally shot him when he went on the grade school grounds.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.