March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Marc Ret, Ian Forrester, SKB, eightbore, cpa, 1 invisible), 329 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I keep worrying about this stuff because son spends a lot of time up there with nothing more than bear spray. He has an 870...but clearly you need something you can get out in a hurry and put rounds down range. "Bear moved too fast to use a gun"

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Allen Minish was alone and surveying land for a real estate agent in a wooded, remote part of Alaska, putting some numbers into his GPS unit when he looked up and saw a large brown bear walking about 30 feet away.

“I saw him and he saw me at the same time, and it’s scary,” he said by phone Wednesday from his hospital bed in Anchorage, a day after being mauled by the bear in a chance encounter.

The mauling left Minish with a crushed jaw, a puncture wound in his scalp so deep the doctor told him he could see bone, lacerations and many stitches after a 4½-hour surgery. He also is wearing a patch over his right eye, saying the doctors are worried about it.

All that damage came from a very brief encounter — he estimates it lasted less than 10 seconds — after he startled the bear Tuesday morning just off the Richardson Highway, near Gulkana, located about 190 miles (306 kilometers) northeast of Anchorage.

The bear, which Minish said was larger than 300-pound black bears he has seen, charged and closed the ground between them in a few seconds.

Minish tried to dodge behind small spruce trees. That didn’t stop the bear; he went through them.

As the bear neared, Minish held up the pointed end of his surveying pole and pushed it toward the bear to keep it away from him.

The bear simply knocked it to the side, the force of which also knocked Minish to the ground.

“As he lunged up on top of me, I grabbed his lower jaw to pull him away,” he said, noting that’s how he got a puncture wound in his hand. “But he tossed me aside there, grabbed a quarter of my face.”

“He took a small bite and then he took a second bite, and the second bite is the one that broke the bones … and crushed my right cheek basically,” he said.

When the bear let go, Minish turned his face to the ground and put his hands over his head.

And then the bear just walked away.

He surmises the bear left because he no longer perceived Minish as a threat. The bear’s exit — Alaska State Troopers said later they did not locate the bear — gave him time assess damage.

“I realized I was in pretty bad shape because I had all this blood everywhere,” he said.

He called 911 on his cellphone. While he was talking to a dispatcher, he pulled off his surveyor’s vest and his T-shirt and wrapped them around his head in an attempt to stop the bleeding.

Then he waited 59 minutes for help to arrive. He knows that's how long it took because he later checked his cellphone record for the length of the time he was told to stay on the line with the dispatcher until rescue arrived.

At one point, he was able to give the dispatcher his exact coordinates from his GPS unit, but even that was a struggle.

“It took awhile to give them that because I had so much blood flowing into my eyes and on to the GPS, I kept having to wipe it all off,” he said.

He said one of the rescuers called him a hero after seeing how much blood was on the ground.

Rescuers tried to carry him through the woods to a road that parallels the nearby trans-Alaska pipeline to meet an ambulance. That didn’t work, and he said they had to help walk him a quarter mile through swamps, brush and trees. From there, he was taken to a nearby airport and flown to Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage by a medical helicopter. He is listed in good condition at Providence.

Before help arrived, he worried about the bear returning to finish him off. “I kept hearing stuff,” he said, but every time he tried to lean up to look around, he became dizzy from the loss of blood.

“He didn’t come back, and so I just lay there and worried about it,” he said.

Minish, 61, has had his share of bear encounters over the 40 years he’s lived in Alaska, but nothing like this. He owns his own surveying and engineering business, which takes him into the wild often.

“That’s the one lesson learned,” he said. “I should have had somebody with me.”

He left his gun in the vehicle on this job but said it wouldn’t have mattered because the bear moved on him too fast for it to have been any use.

He can now add his name to the list of six people he knows who have been mauled by bears in Alaska.

“I guess I feel lucky,” Minish said of his encounter with the bear, after someone told him it’s better than being dead.

“In all honesty, it wouldn’t have mattered either way. You know, if it killed me, it killed me. I had a good life; I’m moving on. It didn’t kill me, so now let’s move on to the other direction of trying to stay alive,” he said.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I lived up there I carried an S & W Model 19 to kill myself with before the bear did.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Your son has an 870, and that's good, but if it is not on his person it's not good. Jeff Cooper once wrote that a pistol is used to fight your way to the closest shotgun. That tells me that, in case of man or beast, carrying a big handgun on you is much better than a shotgun in a truck. Bears may, at times, attack very fast. But, there have also been many incidences where a handgun has warded off what may have been a fatal attack.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

First lesson in Vietnam...Thanksgiving day 1966 in II Corps on a mission down near the III Corps border in intense triple canopy jungle with 6 companies of Montagnard strikers, I left my M-16 leaning against a tree and walked 20' feet away. A grizzled MSG jumped my a$$...I never did that again.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

But that's why I'm getting him a Glock 17 9mm...at least it's on him and it has 18 rounds that can be fired as fast as you pull the trigger. In weapons qualification (required for Afghanistan every 18 months) I could fire off 10 rounds in 1.5 seconds. I'd think paired with this round, at least you'd have a chance of hitting something.
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=388

Last edited by Argo44; 05/19/21 09:38 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I’m pretty sure I could kill a rat or goose.

https://today.yougov.com/topics/lif...tigers-and-bears-what-animal-would-win-f

And I’d pay money to watch Argo, Stan and Ted fight a bear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess a tall stack of 9s is better than nothing, and I highly respect your combat experience, but I carry a .45. And, I practice with it, alone, not bullseye shooting, either. My theory is that, if I only have time to get off one or two rounds, I'd rather them pack a real punch than just poke a hole.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

lonesome...with that slice...you'd better be carrying something when you look for your ball in the woods.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That's the problem Stan...hand gun skills are highly perishable. You can shoot on your farm...he theoretically could in Alaska as much as he wanted to but he's a kayaker and just won't do it. So I figure something that doesn't have huge recoil with a penetrator round...that he can draw and just pull the trigger might be better.

But in the end he still needs to practice getting the darned thing out of the holster and pulling a trigger. At least the Glock doesn't have a manual safety you have to think about. And three 9mm rounds = 1x .45 I should think.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Manual safeties on 1911 .45s are learned to be flipped off as the arm leaves the holster. I have ingrained that. My .45 rides cocked and locked. Condition One. Round chambered, hammer back, manual safety on. As it leaves the holster that manual safety is flipped off. The grip safety is already disabled by my grip. Arm is ready to be triggered by the time it is on target.

I do understand to some degree your trying to think ahead of your son, though. I know that my wife will never make herself familiar enough with a semi-automatic sidearm to flip off a safety, or rack the slide in case of a misfire. So, she has a S & W hammerless revolver in .38 Special, loaded with +Ps. No safety, no slide to reckon with. Just pull the trigger. And, when I bought it I chose it over a similar Ruger because the DA trigger pull was so much better.

We do the best we can, and trust in the Lord to do what we can't. He is able when we are not.

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Argo, for your son you might consider a .45 modified to shoot .460 Rowland, a simple conversion on a 1911 https://clarkcustomguns.com/product/460-rowland-conversion-kit-for-1911/ or Glock 21 https://www.460rowland.com/

It is the ballistic equivalent of a light .44 Magnum: 230 gr at 1350 fps, or 255 gr at 1300 fps. When working around lions, I carry a high capacity Paraordnance, which holds 14 in the standard magazine or 17 with an extended basepad. Not nearly what you want for a big angry carnivore but a lot better than a 9mm or .45, or a long gun back in the truck.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.