March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (NZHunter, SKB), 293 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#596808 05/12/21 06:03 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Some years ago I was browsing in one of the more expensive book shops in Charing Cross Road, and was thumbing through a book by Lord Dunsany who was a keen snipe shooter as well as being the Irish chess champion and revolver champion.

I cannot even remember if it was one of his fantasy works, or (more likely) a tale set in Ireland. Anyway, as I looked through it I came across about a page and a half in which he sets out how the sights on Rook rifles should be set up and why he considered most gunmakers were doing it wrong.

The book was not otherwise of great interest to me, and went back on the shelf, but it has since irritated me that I failed to make a mental note of the title.

Are any of you familiar with the book?

Keep Well

Parabola

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a list of his writing.

https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?author=Dunsany&title=&lang=en&isbn=&new_used=*&destination=us&currency=USD&mode=basic&st=sr&ac=qr

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hesitate to ask, because I know that the ecosystem in the UK is the quite different than the one here in the US, but how is it that there can be so many crows?

We have plenty of them here, but really don’t have big rookeries, where a rook rifle could be taken advantage of.

Perhaps in other regions, but in my region, the ecosystem balances out with small flock of crows, and excluding their migration, not thousands.

Any ideas?

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemen, thanks for your contributions. Drew, that one could well be the book I was looking at.

“If you see one Rook, it’s a Crow. If you see a lot of Crows, they are Rooks”is like most generalisations not totally accurate but closer than many.

The two birds, both Corvids, are vey similar although the Rook has a slimmer beak and in adult birds a bald area around the base of the beak. They are distinct species.

Rooks are gregarious, live in densely packed Rookeries with dozens of nests in a clump of trees. Crows nest in splendid isolation.

About 50 years ago I knew a retired Officer, a veteran of both the Boer and First world wars (and Home Guard in the Second) .

He told me that when stationed in Ireland before WW1, he used to go Rook shooting with a pair of Webley-Fosbury revolvers.

I don’t know what the locals made of the gentle rain of 265 grain bullets falling from the sky, unless they put it down to “the gentlemen down the road having a political discussion “.

At the time I had never heard of Lord Dunsany, I wish I’d asked if they had ever met,

Keep Well,

Parabola

Last edited by Parabola; 05/12/21 02:24 PM. Reason: Typo
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have two unmolested Rook rifles in original .255 caliber. Although they were probably made in Birmingham, both were finished in London. One is cased with accessories and is in pristine, unused condition. I had some cartridges made up for them and they are extremely accurate at 100-125 yards. I am able to connect with a squirrel-sized target over and over at that distance with the original iron sights. Really neat. Imagine the sportsman willing to invest in a best single-shot centerfire ejector Rook rifle over the cheap, readily available and popular .22 rimfire. I never knew him, but I appreciate his taste in firearms and truly enjoy being the custodian of his rifle.

Owen
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Owen,

Does your cased example have any owner’s name on the lid or case ends?

If so it may be possible to dig up some biographical details.

.255 Rook Rifles were generally retailed by W J Jeffery as it was one of his proprietary cartridges. I know someone who makes his cases from .25-20 Single Shot cases.

In those days a best quality Rook Rifle, might retail for £12 to £15, whist a good quality.22 single shot might be £3 to £4. Whilst even the latter was then a lot of money to a working man, I suspect that these days the differential would be a lot greater (assuming that you could find someone to build you a good quality Rook Rifle).

Greetings,

Parabola

Last edited by Parabola; 05/12/21 04:09 PM. Reason: typo
Sidelock
Sidelock

Whilst even the latter?? What does that mean in English?? I thought Whilst was a Limey card game similar to Bridge. You chaps sure have a strange way of speaking.. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Parabola, as you can see I have only the remains of a label on the end of this guncase. The name has been removed, but despite the reference to New Bond st., the rifle is engraved South Audley St.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Unfortunately, the proprietor of S. Audley St.did not maintain suitable records of Rook rifles sold and I was unable to obtain further information.

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am aware of a .22 Hornet of recent S. Audley build, their first in 85 years.

Owen
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.