March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jtplumb, KDGJ, KY Jon, Marc Ret, 2 invisible), 452 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,339
Posts543,403
Members14,386
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#596430 05/02/21 09:31 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have Victorian Sykes’ Patent shot belt, the type that is variously described as a “”snake type” or “Irish style” ( although I had understood that St. Patrick had banished all snakes from Ireland).

It still has the scoop present, but sadly the external housing for the shutter slide and return spring has been knocked off and those bits are missing. The leather body is intact and replacing the shoulder sling would not be a problem.

I would like to put it back into working order, but I am puzzled as to how the lifting of the shutter was actuated.

My question is, was the shutter lifted by rotating the scoop, which has a slanted end, through 360 degrees to force the shutter upwards?

Or did the slide have external protrusions to lift it with your fingers.

Have any of you a complete one? How does it operate?

If so a photo of the shutter and spring housing would be greatly appreciated.

Keep Well,

Parabola

Last edited by Parabola; 05/02/21 09:58 AM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dear Stanton,

The photograph is very helpful and I much appreciate your sending it to me.

It seems clear that the shutter is lifted manually by the ring attached to the shutter.

Again, Many thanks!

Adrian

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Most welcome, Adrian. Good luck with the restoration.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

https://imgur.com/a/gbQzsAh

Hi,

I have just signed up to imgur so if the above photo does not show 4 shot flasks blame them not me.

Thank you to everyone who helped with photos to help me with my question about how a Sykes patent shot flask operates.

I now know the answer as I stuck in a “cheeky bid”, £2 over bottom estimate at the last Holts sale and it won!

The one on the left is a modern repro , the middle 2 are Sykes patent, and the right hand one is unnamed and the odd one out.

The Sykes (and copy) have a shot measure with a slanted leading edge like a coal scoop.

When pushed into the flask, it slides under the bottom of the shutter forcing it upwards against the spring so that the shutter raises allowing shot to fill the measure.

When the thumb catch is depressed and the measure withdrawn the shutter descends to retain the rest of the shot in the flask.

The 2 genuine Sykes flasks are Adjustable 1 1/2, 1 3/4 and 2 oz.

That is achieved by an inner sleeve withdrawn by the button under the thumb catch, the inner sleeve is rotated slightly to disengage a stud from the 1 1/2 setting (much like an adjustable powder flask) withdrawn and reset to the quantity desired.

The odd one on the right is marked 1 1/2 and has no retaining shutter.

The measure has a squared off end with a slight scallop on one side.

Presumably the measure is withdrawn with the flask held upright, and the the lip of the flask held against the scallop to carefully decant enough shot .

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.