March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Southern Sport), 860 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Any neutral uncomplicated background, that would distract interest in the gun, along with natural diffused daylight, or lighting that can closely replicate that, will give the best results.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Hal, I'm about as far from a photographer as a man could be, but I once read here that in lieu of a professional backdrop and lighting the best bet was photographing guns outside on a cloudy day. I've done that for years and it has always worked well for me.

Seems like once again I will have to agree with you.

I am far from a pro, and not even a great amature. Paying someone to do it for you that is a pro if they use auto ANY settings send him down the road.

Would rather shoot birds, even with a camera, than guns for sale. Done a fair share of it and it can be difficult to get it right. Hazy days usually give the best results to represent the wood grain IME.

Wait did you say a NID 4E?! No. Yes. No! Well maybe... On the short list but not right now. VA inspector is coming tomorrow morning for a refi on the house though LOL.

Flash is harsh and the finish usually interfers with a clear picture. Bouncing the flash off the ceiling helps a lot, and even then have to usually turn down the power a bit on the strobe. And that is with popcorn ceiling which diffuses light more than modern ceilings. Bright sunlight does it even worse.

Actually won a weekly photo challenge couple of years ago. Challenge was marketing.

Pure white background is usually the best to make your subject "float". Why most marketing pictures are taken with a white light box with lights being diffused at the subject. Leather with a high shine present the same issues that a gun with a finish on it does.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

For guns a piece of rough canvas drop cloth for painting on a hazy day is hard to beat for showing detail. And pardon the pun, is a good canvas for a backdrop.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][/url]

At least IMO. Which is worth what you paid for it. But no distractions. Just the facts.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like the idea of the canvas drop cloth Mike. Those Aldens look fantastic.

I’d add to what’s been written here......more close ups and closer than you think.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Cold Iron
Seems like once again I will have to agree with you.

Is that so bad? wink

Great pics, and great advice it would seem. Thanks.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Posted for Steve Helsley

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 04/29/21 07:36 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

He knows best. He is a wonderful contributor, and REALLY knows double guns!

Sam Ogle
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve’s photos are absolutely phenomenal! But I’m more of a simpleton. I use a clear 200 watt clear incandescent light bulb in a common shop lamp. Background is a blue shop towel and a iPhone. I adjust the swinging lamp to give minimum light bounce back and snap the photo. Works well for me.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

What I like about the clear 200 watt shop light is it doesn’t distort colors. What you see is what it is. Background is my old worn out workbench top.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

3 Dimable day light LED bulbs in IKEA adjustable work lights each on its own dimmer and an iPhone 8. Not high art but I feel it accurately represents the gun.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...a-pair.cfm?gun_id=101626420&cdn_bp=1

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are some thoughts on gun photography.
Daryl Hallquist to posted some images for me.

Non-reflective dead black background
No flash
Manual focus/manual metering camera
Understand depth of field
Tripod
Cable release

All were made with an Olympus E-20n – a 20-year old 5mp digital camera
(usually available for $50-60)
All exposures were ISO 100 and f 8 @ 1 second (or very close to it)

Posing stands and background material holders made from PVC pipe

Images were made with photo lights or outside using white poster board
to bounce-in sunlight

Happy to respond to specific questions

Steve Helsley

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Great ideas thanks

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.