March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ken Nelson, SKB, battle, trw999, Argo44, 1 invisible), 362 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,002
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Watch it now ... it may be springtime in GA but you can still get yourself on thin ice. 😉

Last edited by FallCreekFan; 04/22/21 04:32 PM.

Speude Bradeos
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Cold Iron
My first hunting rig, well that had 4 wheel drive, bought ~1980 with my first reenlistment bonus. 1977 FJ55 Iron Pig.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Current Taco although she is getting long in the tooth she still gots it and gets 'er done

First thing did was ripped out the bench seat and made a platform for the dog and store recovery gear and guns.

Rock sliders are set at zero degrees to help prevent damage from lateral slides on icy trails, not pivoting off rocks.

Up until I hit 60 the dog and I would often sleep in the back while hunting.

Not anymore, bones don't care for it and I don't either. I get a cabin for a month or more. And got tired of beating up the truck. And myself in it. Couple of years ago went with a Polaris Northstar Ranger and built a dog box for the back.

Best hunting rig have ever owned, should have done it sooner. Taco is now a tow vehicle. Will replace it in a couple of years with something along the lines of my first 4x4 thinking a Lexus GX or 4Runner. Will likely be my last vehicle ever.

Interesting abut ripping out the bench seat. I was thinking Chevy Colorado about a year and a half ago when I went truck shopping. Where I live, the Chevy and Toyota stores are side by side and under the same management. The reason I initially thought Colorado was because there were leftover 2018's at pretty deep discounts. Told the saleslady that I was basically looking for a pretty bare bones truck as a hunting vehicle. Turns out Chevy doesn't offer any Colorados like that. She then said they had a brand new bare bones Tacoma "work truck" I could buy cheaper than the least expensive 2018 Colorado. Drove it. Liked it a lot. Not getting those little jump seats in my extended cab Tacoma--which I didn't want anyhow--saved me $2500. And it is bare bones. About the only thing I miss are intermittent windshield wipers. I didn't know they even made vehicles without those. I'd jokingly asked her if I could get crank windows--which I had on the bare bones Ford Ranger I traded. Those aren't available. My Toyota doesn't have keyless entry. Although that doesn't bother me, there's no key slot on the outside of the passenger door. Other than that, I'm pleased with my choice--and I don't miss any of the other options it doesn't have.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Awhile back the 5 year old was going somewhere with me in the “huntin’ truck” and asked, “Poppa, what’s that?”

He was pointing at the window crank. 😁
The next generation won’t even know what they are.

Last edited by FallCreekFan; 04/22/21 04:31 PM.

Speude Bradeos
1 member likes this: Cold Iron
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Many car mags and "gurus" decry Tacoma and 4Runner for the failure of Toyota to upgrade electronics and drive trains compared with the mags Cars/Trucks of the Year selections. This "failure" is exactly why I'm a Toyota fan. If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it. Gil

2 members like this: LGF, Cold Iron
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is John Robert's hunting rig that he asked me to post the picture of. I had a very similar one. The engine is almost rock proof. Great vehicle. Plenty power, ground clearance, lots of room (all weatherproof).

He will likely elaborate on it.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, here is the mod for adding intermittent windshield wipers to your Tacoma (you have a 3rd Gen Tacoma): https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2016-2018-3rd-gen-intermittent-wiper-mod.397942/

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Jeep Wrangler has two settings for the wipers, low and high. What is this "intermittent" grin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
'87 Jeep Wrangler
350 cid Chevy engine w/ Edelbrock intake and Edelbrock 4 barrel
TH350 Chevy tranny and Dana transfer case
12.50 X 35 tires (tires shown in pics are 12.50 33s)

On my FJ55 got tired of replacing the bronze valve guides less than 20k miles in the 2F Engine and dropped a 350 in her. Found a 4 bolt main crank engine in Seattle and had her acid dipped. Then built it up with the Edelbrock kit. Everyone else was doing high end at the Navy auto hobby shop, I went with the Edelbrock low end kit. 2$ a day included all tools. I put a Holly 650 4 barrel on it. Man A Fre also made a conversion kit for a Hydromatic tranny but stayed with the manual. Like getting out in the mud to lock the hubs in just trusted them more. 8 MPG was average on a good day. Could do a lot better if I could my foot out of the secondaries.

Like Ron White says I had the right to, but just couldn't help myself LOL.

The picture of my Iron Pig FJ55 is 28 miles South of Falls Creek NY. If you didn't shoot an Ithaca in the 60's and early 70's back there then you were considered some type of Communist LOL. Purchased the pig when I reenlisted in Bremerton Wa. and in 83 made the World Cruise and they flew me back to pick up my rig and worldly possessions. Driving back to the East coast with a small U Haul trailer with all my worldly possessions, guns, reloading equipment, camping equipment, fishing gear, etc . Going up the Mountain to Salt Lake City passed a VW bug that had a bumper sticker that said just think you could had a V8. Remember those commercials and ads? Not much further up the road started to pass another vehicle a Broco and looked over to see a Utah State trooper with his smokey bear hat on and he turned to look at me and shook his head no. I pulled in behind him.

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
My Jeep Wrangler has two settings for the wipers, low and high. What is this "intermittent" grin

Well if you are in Washington State you would know LOL. There were no intermittent wipers back then and it was one of my first experiences with modifying the electrical system. They ROCK!

Originally Posted by GLS
Many car mags and "gurus" decry Tacoma and 4Runner for the failure of Toyota to upgrade electronics and drive trains compared with the mags Cars/Trucks of the Year selections. This "failure" is exactly why I'm a Toyota fan. If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it. Gil

Preach it brother!

Originally Posted by L. Brown
Originally Posted by Cold Iron
My first hunting rig, well that had 4 wheel drive, bought ~1980 with my first reenlistment bonus. 1977 FJ55 Iron Pig.

Current Taco although she is getting long in the tooth she still gots it and gets 'er done

First thing did was ripped out the bench seat and made a platform for the dog and store recovery gear and guns.

Rock sliders are set at zero degrees to help prevent damage from lateral slides on icy trails, not pivoting off rocks.

Up until I hit 60 the dog and I would often sleep in the back while hunting.

Not anymore, bones don't care for it and I don't either. I get a cabin for a month or more. And got tired of beating up the truck. And myself in it. Couple of years ago went with a Polaris Northstar Ranger and built a dog box for the back.

Best hunting rig have ever owned, should have done it sooner. Taco is now a tow vehicle. Will replace it in a couple of years with something along the lines of my first 4x4 thinking a Lexus GX or 4Runner. Will likely be my last vehicle ever.

Interesting abut ripping out the bench seat. I was thinking Chevy Colorado about a year and a half ago when I went truck shopping. Where I live, the Chevy and Toyota stores are side by side and under the same management. The reason I initially thought Colorado was because there were leftover 2018's at pretty deep discounts. Told the saleslady that I was basically looking for a pretty bare bones truck as a hunting vehicle. Turns out Chevy doesn't offer any Colorados like that. She then said they had a brand new bare bones Tacoma "work truck" I could buy cheaper than the least expensive 2018 Colorado. Drove it. Liked it a lot. Not getting those little jump seats in my extended cab Tacoma--which I didn't want anyhow--saved me $2500. And it is bare bones. About the only thing I miss are intermittent windshield wipers. I didn't know they even made vehicles without those. I'd jokingly asked her if I could get crank windows--which I had on the bare bones Ford Ranger I traded. Those aren't available. My Toyota doesn't have keyless entry. Although that doesn't bother me, there's no key slot on the outside of the passenger door. Other than that, I'm pleased with my choice--and I don't miss any of the other options it doesn't have.

Always liked the work trucks. My dream truck for many years was something you could put a hose into and pull the plugs out of the floor pan to let the water drain.

Now I want comfort. Damn I have turned into my father LOL.

When I got the Polaris Ranger they had an option for electric door handles. Get the hell out of here!? Solid decline. Just another thing to go wrong over time.

Last edited by Cold Iron; 04/22/21 09:23 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability". Ron White

Best line by a stand-up comic, ever ..............

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, if I’d known all this I would have taken a closer look at your ride when we were up on the Minnesota coast. Instead I was mesmerized by the steaks!

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
1 member likes this: Cold Iron
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.