March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Researcher, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, damascus, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 660 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

FallCreek - my Series IIA Landrover made a mechanic and a Landcruiser driver out of me. "If you want to drive a hundred miles into the bush, buy a Landrover. If you want to get home again, buy a Landcruiser." You start repairing a Landrover the day after driving it out of the showroom. My LR's only saving grace was that it usually waited until I reached Nairobi before self-destructing; the chassis once broke in half as I pulled into a friend's driveway. You always carried spare front axles (halfshafts) because even after thirty years of breaking, Landrover could not bring itself to make them slightly thicker.

The Series III LR with the Range Rover suspension was an instant hit when it arrived in East Africa in the early 1980's because they were so comfortable compared to the brutal ride of the Series II's. However nearly everyone who bought one rolled it within weeks because they unwittingly drove far too fast for the 'road' conditions. I have to admit, however, that I have twice tipped a Landcruiser driving at a perfectly reasonable speed going downhill on a gravel surface, and the same happened to my field assistant in another one - they suddenly go sideways and the high center of gravity just pulls them over. Another time I was carrying three drums of diesel in the back and tipped over on a muddy slope.

LC's are as close to indestructible as a vehicle can be; you can count on several years of heavy use on appalling roads before anything goes wrong. I am still driving a 2002 pickup with probably a couple hundred thousand of bush miles on it (odometer died once or twice), albeit after an engine rebuild and a new transmission. And the African tradition of gas stations adulterating diesel with much cheaper kerosene makes for occasional new fuel pumps.

1 member likes this: GLS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just to set the record straight, Prince Philip's bier was a Land Rover Defender TD5 130 chassis cab vehicle, which was made at Land Rover’s factory in Solihull in 2003.

J.K.B. von Falkenhorst

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah, the romance of a LR. The straight lines and flat surfaces of the first ones were the result of LR's use of surplus aluminum sheets left over from wartime aircraft construction. Originally designed and used as farming equipment. The cheetah on the roof was optional. Gil

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

78 Scout. It's a little wet in the rain, but that's part of the "romance" of an old Scout.

1 member likes this: GLS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, I hunt them for the furs. What I don't sell, I sew into stuff, right now I'm getting ready to make a throw for my wife, just need to get the last batch of fur back from the tannery. I do do an occasional ADC job for a rancher. I'm an old trapper but they keep taking away my right to trap soo I keep my hand in it predator hunting.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As an old hand at predator trapping for furs I can appreciate your answer.

Thanks, oscar

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Never have been involved in predator hunting for the furs-never have trapped in my long life, no plans too. But as some of my fondest boyhood memories afield with Dad involved watching him vaporize fox, coyote, feral cats and woodchucks with his M70SG .220 Swift (Lyman 10X scope) and handloaded 50 grainers, I suspose that ordnance and my SakO 759 BA in .243Win with Leupold Vari-X111 4x12 might not be the best choice if one wanted to make $ in the wild fur trade today. So, I guess son-in-law and yours truly will be looking at another spring-summer evening season, this time with my 16 year old grandson, of vaporizing critters. He gets the .220Swift (his Dad is a Leftie), so he shoots a plastic stocked Rem 700 custom BA700 LH series with, surprise, surprise, another Vari-X 3 Leupold. I would rather have a week in late summer near Sturgis SD with unlimited ammo and hunting opportunities than a week in MT in Oct for mule deer and elk-RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

When my time comes and you hold my wake- remember, my favorite beer is Warsteiner--Die Konigen auf dem Bieren..

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I kept a Scout for a hunting truck for 20+ years. It had 200,000 miles on it when I gave it to my hunting partners father for a farm hunting truck for deer season. The frame broke on day when crossing a ditch. Why go around? They pulled it back to the shed and welded metal across the broken frame. Truck lasted another six years until Mr. Jack passed away. For all I know it is still in use but most likely it’s parked in the edge of the woods in retirement like several other old vehicles on that farm. Loved those Scouts. Today I have a couple trailblazers for hunting trucks. 200,000 miles and still running strong.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm used to making modifications to farm equipment, boats, whatever, to make them more suitable to my uses/needs. Thus, the hybrid Jeep Wrangler/Chevy combo. It's powerful enough to pull a boat, especially with the low gears. Very drivable with it's power steering and automatic tranny, and dependable. Biggest drawback is that it only holds 12 gallons of gas, full to the top. Heat, but no a/c. For summertime use I unbolt the hardtop and take it off. Can't get my wife to ride in it anymore ......... but, that's ok too. cool

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.