March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (NZHunter, L. Brown, LGF, SKB), 230 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dodge PowerWagon. Mother ship for our group hunting trips. Goes just about anywhere it will fit. Roof rack for my casket.

2 members like this: DAM16SXS, GLS
Sidelock
Sidelock

'87 Jeep Wrangler
350 cid Chevy engine w/ Edelbrock intake and Edelbrock 4 barrel
TH350 Chevy tranny and Dana transfer case
12.50 X 35 tires (tires shown in pics are 12.50 33s)
4.56 gears
Ramsey 8000 lb. front winch
3M Camo wrap (has been removed because it didn't last)
10 mpg, like I care

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Gets us there ................ AND back.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
2 members like this: Cold Iron, GLS
Sidelock
Sidelock

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

My Granddaughter calls it the "Magic Van" anytime she wanted some candy I usually had a couple stashed somewhere.

Ford 3/4 ton with posi-traction and a set of V-bar chains gets me just about anywhere. It is set up with a solar panel, propane furnace, bunk, table, cabinets and locking gun rack. I can park anywhere, no need for electricity, I have probably saved the cost of the vehicle in camping and motel fees.

Inside

And if I can't get the truck there this does the trick.

Last edited by oskar; 04/20/21 08:26 AM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
2 members like this: GMCS, GLS
oskar #595739 04/20/21 08:46 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Dead a pair" and "Hang 'em high" op words for that maneuver" well done, Sir.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

not too shabby there, Stan. I like the modified Jeep in camo ALMOST as much as I do your JD8000 series?? tractor in the bckground. And your Grandson sitting down with a open breeched .410 side-by-side says it all-I might be able to hit hem with a 20 bore, but with a .410-doubtful--RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tacoma 4x4. Now and forever. Also doubles as a fine fishin' truck too.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This thread has certainly brought back good memories of a lot of good days in a variety of "huntin' trucks". Counting back I've had 3 Jeeps (CJ-5, CJ-7, & a Cherokee), 2 Land Rovers (a long wheel base station wagon & a SWB 2-door) and 5 Toyotas (4 Tacoma/Hilux and 1 4Runner). All 4WD.

The CJ-5 was my primary vehicle during my waterfowl years with Charlie (my black lab) sitting shotgun and the canvas covered back filled with decoys, waders and gun & gear.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The Land Rovers were both Series IIA models with the 2.25L 4 cyl petrol engines and the old style headlights positioned between the "wings." I was a passable double clutcher from my boyhood farm years but I became a double clutching fool after these two vehicles. They had 4 speed trans but non syncho 1st and 2nd gears and particularly on steep mountain tracks or long stretches of sand they required A LOT of shifting because of the underpowered engines (and you'd better be smooth and quick or you'd lose momentum and be in trouble.) They also both had manual engine cranks that got more use than you might imagine. Deep in the bush and far from any help, it was reassuring to be able to crank the "car" back to life when you crawled out of your bedroll to a dead battery. Also, (and I mean no offense to our British brothers here), you'd better be a pretty decent mechanic. It was always something. I carried two tool boxes and a small spares store with me including shackle bolts and half shafts. They did love to snap axles. This is the SWB 40 years ago literally on the back side of the desert (the Kalahari). 4WD Hilux in the background. Eldest son finding a quiet place to read.

The same “little fellow” somewhere above 12,000' with Dad.

And as for the Tacoma/Hilux/4Runner(Gen 1-4) family of vehicles. Nothing to say. They just go.

Last edited by FallCreekFan; 04/21/21 09:55 AM.

Speude Bradeos
2 members like this: GLS, Cold Iron
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Run With The Fox
not too shabby there, Stan. I like the modified Jeep in camo ALMOST as much as I do your JD8000 series?? tractor in the bckground. And your Grandson sitting down with a open breeched .410 side-by-side says it all-I might be able to hit hem with a 20 bore, but with a .410-doubtful--RWTF

Francis, that pic of grandson Jackson was when he was age 9. That was after his first dove shoot where he actually shot a gun. He had been on many with me as a "bird shagger", but had never shot for himself. He killed nine, fair chase. His younger brother, several years later, killed the limit on his first shoot. That is just unheard of.

The Jeep has been haranguing me with a problem for a couple years. The battery would just go dead all of a sudden for no apparent reason. I was recharging the battery today and was moving wires around, and saw an arc. I moved them some more and saw that the big, red lead from the battery to the winch was touching the exhaust manifold and the heat had actually burned through the insulation and the inside copper core was grounding on the exhaust manifold. I put two layers of heat shrink on it, tied it away from the manifold, and called it a successful repair.

You have good eyes. That JD in the background is an 8400 that was hooked to a KMC peanut combine. Evidently the pic was taken in October/November.

Best, Stan

Sidelock
Sidelock

oscar, I'm curious as to why you shoot so many coyotes. Do you hunt deer, and do all you can to deplete the number of fawn predators, or is there another motivating factor? I understand it's legal to shoot them, and I'm not belittling you, I'm just trying to understand the motivation behind it.

Thanks, Stan

Sidelock
Sidelock

1986 CJ-7 - India 3 years, Greece 3 years, Italy 2 years, Dalmatian Coast, Crete, Bulgaria, Turkey, USA...25 years of going everywhere, coast, sand, rock, mountain, forest, rocky passes, Marathon beach...Croatia just after the war...hunting the Gangetic plain.. In Europe I could hunt, cruise, crawl...and pull up to an opera and everyone would be looking at the Jeep, not the Rolls behind me.

Last edited by Argo44; 04/20/21 08:43 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
1 member likes this: GLS
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.