March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, smlekid), 289 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
#595696 04/19/21 01:31 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

One of my grandsons who turns 5 today (Happy Birthday, pal) calls the 4WD Tacoma that I bought new 24 years ago, "Poppa's huntin' truck".

I see that Prince Philip had one as well. And while it was loaded with a list of features including custom "bronze green" paint and was referred to as a "gun bus" (mine is also customized but with scratches, dings, dents and chips - all honest earned) his turned out to be a most appropriate hearse for his final outing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My 2 year old grandson, despite its 31" tires, has taught himself to climb up into the front seat and sit there waiting on me while repeating, "Ride. Ride. Ride." I may have to give some thought to mine also providing a final ride before it goes to my eldest son.

Prince Philip's funeral procession certainly was colorful. I suspect the colors at mine might lean more toward blaze orange and camo.

Do you have your own personal gun bus/huntin' truck that you might consider for similar duty?

Last edited by FallCreekFan; 04/21/21 09:42 AM.

Speude Bradeos
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I split my life between remote parts of Kenya where I drive a Landcruiser pickup, and the Bay Area, where for many years I had a Porsche 944. Accustomed to driving roadless bush in Africa, I often found myself taking the Porsche to places in the US West where no sports cars should go. I once showed up at a friend's house in SF with four dead pigs laid out in the back of the 944.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have two Land Cruisers, a 94 and a 95. Close to indestructible. Spare tire winch design is my only complaint.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Yotas" have gotten too expensive on account of the fanboy crowd so I bought one of these:

Manual trans, 4WD, locking hubs and pretty much all so equipped. Bottom ends that go 250K if you adjust the valves and replace timing belts.

1 member likes this: 67galaxie
Sidelock
Sidelock

Or longer, Dan. I had a friend who used one for nine years as a rural mail carrier west of Laramie, WY. His first delivery was more than thirty miles from the post office, so the miles piled up quickly, and his never gave him an issue on the many miles of unsaved road - or two tracks that passed as roads.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My first hunting rig, well that had 4 wheel drive, bought ~1980 with my first reenlistment bonus. 1977 FJ55 Iron Pig.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Current Taco although she is getting long in the tooth she still gots it and gets 'er done

First thing did was ripped out the bench seat and made a platform for the dog and store recovery gear and guns.

Rock sliders are set at zero degrees to help prevent damage from lateral slides on icy trails, not pivoting off rocks.

Up until I hit 60 the dog and I would often sleep in the back while hunting.

Not anymore, bones don't care for it and I don't either. I get a cabin for a month or more. And got tired of beating up the truck. And myself in it. Couple of years ago went with a Polaris Northstar Ranger and built a dog box for the back.

Best hunting rig have ever owned, should have done it sooner. Taco is now a tow vehicle. Will replace it in a couple of years with something along the lines of my first 4x4 thinking a Lexus GX or 4Runner. Will likely be my last vehicle ever.

1 member likes this: GLS
Sidelock
Sidelock

This one's been here before. Bought it new in 2001. The clean picture:

and, the more normal one:

At about 130k now and still working well.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/19/21 06:38 PM.
1 member likes this: GLS
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

During the fall, winter and spring it collects mud and remains unwashed. Okay, parts of summer, too. The cradle mounted winch can be mounted in the front as depicted or in the rear hitch which also has a power receptacle. During turkey season, the hardtail Cannondale is carried on the hitch mounted carrier for limited access areas. The rear of my 2003 Sequoia 4X4 is in the front of the 4Runner. The Warn 8500 winch can also be used on the front or back of it.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those troopers are amazing! I am about to finish my willys wagon and will be using that

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.