March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hammergun, R. Glenz, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 290 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Years ago, Hastings sold 32” barrels for Browning A5 shotguns. Hmm. You could look the part with the loooong barrel, and A5s are sort of thick on the ground at the moment. Not a gas gun, but, recoil with 1 Oz loads out of a long action semi auto with that tube would be nonexistent.
Would probably still fit the dirt cheap part of the equation. All our A5s seem to run pretty well, all of them are 60+ years old.

You’d have the only one on the block.

It is the cheap part that is the tough part.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beretta A300. New: $650 or less (black synthetic) - $950 (sporting clays model), with a few versions in between. Proven gas system and adjustable stock shims. Think of it as the shotgun version of a Glock, which a friend of mine used to say came with zero pride of ownership. But they work...

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

He wants an o/u, but never mind that. Keep on recommending...
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by John Roberts
He wants an o/u, but never mind that. Keep on recommending...
JR

I guess I read the “Well, maybe” answer to your assumption about an O/U, back on page one, as leaving a little room for ingenuity, especially considering one of the parameters was dirt cheap.

Especially.

Got any recommendations?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Regretfully, no, Ted. I'm not much on going cheap on any kind of gun. The old salesman's adage "quality is remembered long after price is forgotten" hold very true with firearms. One exception right now is the Turkish semi-autos like the Citadel line. True bargains.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Great suggestions all, my thanks for the well-considered input! This is a new game for me, one I truly know very little about. I certainly have my biases towards doubles, but everything else is open to consideration. After a few days of internet searches and even some local gunshop visits I know a lot more than I did when all this started. As seems to be now-normal in the gun world, the options are nearly endless. New guns have come onto the market in the last few years that seem, at least initially, to be very good values but....enough time hasn't passed to fully determine if they really are. I'm also faced with the present realities of recent political change severely affecting the core economics of shooting (and possibly gun ownership itself). That causes me to approach this whole process with even more than my normal deliberation.

I don't generally just throw money at a situation and expect to be happy with the results. Hearsay evidence is happily accepted and considered, as well as other anecdotal input, but... I already am familiar with many of the time-honored gunmakers being mentioned here and know from first-hand experience that their products are genuinely worthy of most of the praise being heaped upon them. It is very likely that, in the end, I'll do the safe thing and go with a known entity. But....I may have to get there in a roundabout fashion. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions before I'm done.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/15/21 09:46 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd, I been thinking about your posting. I am sure you want to keep a certain "cool" factor to your shotgun addition.
Find a Remington Model 32, TC or field version. The prices have not really gone up much in the last few years. I love to shoot my first year TC (w/2 triggers) for trap, AND I look and feel very cool doing it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can’t think of any $700 o/u target guns, maybe a clapped out Citori special sporting clays edition. Occasionally you can stumble upon a longer barreled SKB field gun.

Probably the finest gun you’ll find in that price is a later production Winchester Super X-1

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My left-handed requirement tends to limit my options just a bit. But even with that, I have found several well-used $750 range guns that would likely work. What I'm faced with now is risking some money on a relatively unknown maker or going with a much safer bet. "Dirt Cheap" as it turns out seems to range from $750 to about $1,500. After that, the sky's the limit. Hard-used Citoris, Berettas, Kreigoffs (and even Perrazzis) are available locally, but most look like they've had very tough lives and the prices they command aren't really very attractive. For many of these guns, it feels like you're just paying for the name. SKB makes a lefty sporter that looks to be almost perfect for my perceived needs. CZ, Yildiz, ATA, and others are making some fairly respectable entry-level sporting guns and YouTube is loaded with their reviews. Tristar even makes a pretty wild looking sporting clays gun (the TT-115) that is so different from anything I've ever shot that I'm frankly... intrigued. "Volume shooting" is something that I've never considered before (for all the reasons I've mentioned above) so it's fun to explore something new. The idea of an older Model 32 Remington is intriguing, from a nostalgic perspective, but even those guns aren't inexpensive any more (at least for decent examples) and I'm still fighting the left-handed challenge with them as well. It seems that being "late to the party" has some advantages after all, at least in light of all these newer options. Fun to contemplate, if nothing else.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/15/21 10:56 AM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

One warning about later made Browning O/U(s). If they've had a lot of rounds through them they will soon need rebolting. I've seen way too many shooting with a rubber band around the wrist and top lever to help prevent it from partially opening on the first shot. And, I've known of many more than that that have been sent back to Browning for rebolting.

Flame away. Just reporting what I've seen over the last 20 years.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: Cold Iron
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.