March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Travis S), 251 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Same here

Bernardelli 12ga/5.6x50R Mag

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

BRNO 12ga/5.6x52R(22 Savage Highpower)

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by oskar; 04/13/21 06:57 PM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Simpson LTD always has some drillings in stock and seem to get more imports regularly. Good one are priced fair but go quick, you have to check daily.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will agree with Ford that a 30-06 chambering will get finicky and I have shot a good bit of 9,3X62 thru one without any issue, but in the end it could have some problems. 8X57IRS along with 7X65R are probably the 2 easiest to acquire factory ammo.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys. Lots of good information here.
I definitely will be looking for a 16ga over a rimmed rifle cartridge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jason,
I addressed German Gun Imports because you asked about them. Recoil Rob mentioned Simpson Ltd. , They are also a viable alternative and I have dealt with them before. Be sure to read the description carefully. If they sell you something that is not as described, they will take it back without a problem, if you call. They sell them "as received" and describe any problem they observe. The German partner in German Gun Imports is a gunsmith and I believe he either doesn't accept those with functional problems or repairs small ones. I believe S&B imports 6.5x57R, 7x57R, 8x57IR, 8x57IRS, 7x65R, 9.3x72R, and 9.3x74R. Their cases are boxer primed and are fully reloadable with American components. Reloading dies are available as production items and custom made dies are not required. Dies for the rimless versions are useable just by using the correct shell holder. I use 7x64 dies to load 7x65R, and 6.5x57, 7x57 to load the rimmed version. I use Lyman 8mm Mauser dies to load 8x57I ,8x57IS, 8x57IR, 8x57IRS, 8x57R/360, and 8x72R. I do this by removing the expander stem for the .318 " cartridges and de-prime by hand. Handloading any of these is straight forward, once you have cases and bullets, so don't worry about that.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would like to shime in with a few words about my personal preferences. First, I avoid drillings with Greener safeties, because I find them virtually impossible to manipulate with gloves on, and most of my hunting is done with gloves on. Secondly, I would avoid the Krieghoff "Seperatekugelspannung" (seperate rifle barrel cocking) in favor of another system once offered by Krieghoff and Sauer, which uses a lever on the left side of the action, leaving the top of the pistol grip free for the safety, which operates like that of an ordinary double barrel shotgun.

I used to really enjoy walking around my property with a drilling, ready for anything that appeared, but age and neuropathy in both feet have made that impossible, so I am pretty much confined to a blind.

Before becoming handicapped, however, I was walking down a logging road on my property late in the season, when I spotted a small herd of does in the woods to my right. For some inexplicable reason, they decided to cross the logging road directly in front of me. My J. P. Sauer sidelock 12/12/8X57JRS was loaded with a rifle cartridge and two shotgun slugs and the daily limit then as now was three deer, only one of which could be antlered. I took the opportunity to fire all three barrels. I wish I could report that I scored on all three shots, but only the deer struck by the rifle bullet remained in sight on the ground. A tracking dog might have turned up more, but using dogs for deer hunting was and is illegal in Tennessee.

This is the cocking device on my Sauer drilling, easily activated with the left hand.

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...=960&height=720&fit=bounds[/img]

Sidelock
Sidelock

xausa,
I feel for you brother, I too can only hunt from a blind now, and even then only one I can drive to. I never have a problem with a Greener safety, I didn't even before I became "lame". I just held the gun so my thumb pushed it into the stock as it also pushed forward( this is hard to describe, but once learned is easy). Some people have put a "lever" on the button, but this makes it subject to being accidently moved to the "Off" position. In my Krieghoff 16x16-7x65R, the greener safety only works for the shot barrels, and the rifle selector works also as the safety( but doesn't cock it), so for the rifle, only the selector on the tang has to be activated. I have a hand warmer that straps around my waist and don't wear gloves anyway. I really miss following a bird dog around.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Xausa,

very nice Neptun Drilling.The engraving is lovely, maybe from the same engraver - Karl Feuchter, who worked on many Krieghoff guns :

http://www.hunting-heritage.com/blog/index.php/2021/03/30/krieghoff-drilling-neptun-primus/

Wolfgang

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Der Ami
xausa,

Some people have put a "lever" on the button, but this makes it subject to being accidentally moved to the "Off" position.
Mike

My 16x16/8x57 Nimrod. It's very stiff. It may not be a Greener, it feels more like it's lifting against a cam and then "rolls" over. I showed it to Dietrich Apel several years ago at a Vintagers, he thought it interesting enough to document with photos.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Sauer hammer drilling is 16X16X11.15X65. The rifle cartridge is a big long .44 caliber variation that is pretty common but hard to find cases for. I have a bag of cases, so I am set for life. It will put a big hole in anything you shoot with it. The top lever selects the rifle barrel and a side lever opens the gun. The rifle barrel is a perfect fit for a 2 1/2" .410, which is exactly 65MM, same as the rifle cartridge. The gun handles the .410s very nicely and doesn't lead up badly at all. I recently let a friend strip, refinish, and point up the checkering. This resulted in a very fancy piece of Juglans Regia, not characteristic of an early Sauer. The Krupp steel gun was made around 1905. A friend sold me this little gem for $200 because he had no practical use for it.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.