March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 22 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 21 22
LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Got the forearm tip added. Continuing to work on the forearm attachment mechanism, which includes the placement of the rear sight base because the forearm attachment is part of the sight base. Here is a pic of the forearm tip
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As I work on the barrel attachment I decided I wanted to make a small spanner wrench that can assist with seating the barrel and also removing it. It will be stored in the buttstock under the trap butt plate. We own a small VMC that my son uses to make products for his camera accessories business and also his high power rocket accessories business. So he machined out the profile for me, now I will finish it. Second pic give a size reference
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a similar spanner that came with my Ballard-Pope takedown set. Mine is just cut out from a piece of 1/8" steel.

LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Progress has been slow for various reason. However, I have now finished all the metal to wood fitting, (or at least I think so) with the trap butt plate. It is cast off 1/4" with additional 1/4" toe out

LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Cut the mortise in the butt stock under the trap for the spanner wrench. At its deepest the mortise is 1/4 x 3/4 x 3 1/2" deep. And may I add into walnut end grain. below are a couple pics (note: the screw will be machined to be the pin portion of the wrench and only stick out about 1/8" when done)
I need to consider how and what to line with under the trap door and down into the mortise

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is really looking good, is that a Biessen trapdoor butt plate?

LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes

LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Need to make the rear express sight base. It also needs to add a locking feature on the bottom of the barrel which will serve as a forearm attachment. The trick of this is to bore a tapered hole that will fit perfectly with the taper of the barrel. To do this (first 2 pictures) shows how I setup the lathe taper attachment so that I can bore a perfect match. I used the barrel itself as a pattern for the required taper.
The next 2 show first rough drilling the the work piece and then boring the tapered hole using the taper attachment
Last pic shows the material slide onto the barrel. Turned out very well. I will now start milling it as required using the mill with its vise and also the dividing head.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I could be so bold, why taper bore it and not just turn the barrel? I assume you will solder it in place?

Member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
LRF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Jim Kobe
If I could be so bold, why taper bore it and not just turn the barrel? I assume you will solder it in place?

You can do it that way but since I have the equipment to taper the mount I chose to do it with that equipment. I will also use the setup to make the front sling attachment and front sight band.

1 member likes this: Hoot4570
Page 9 of 22 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.