March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Hammergun, Dave K, buckstix, Der Ami, 2 invisible), 398 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,008
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 39 of 40 1 2 37 38 39 40
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very niice Gil!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great pics. Gil, George and Keith ............. you go, boys!

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks guys! I was shooting a husqvarna 103cs in 16 gauge. I was shooting short lil #6's. It was quite a two day event

Sidelock
Sidelock

George has so many turkeys they're trying to peck his eyes out over there. He shoots them in self defense. A small child can kill a gobbler on his place.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll see if I can get this to work... My setter pup Vance & the first grouse I ever shot over him, back in November. Hard-won PA bird on public land. Gun is my grandfather's Browning BSS Sporter (20 gauge, straight stock, 26" tubes, IC/Mod), his last bird gun. Thinking of having that Mod barrel opened to something like Sk1.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks to GLS for posting the pictures 67galaxie took this morning. Here's what happened yesterday and this morning:

"Homeric Fail"
Last week we had 88 degree afternoons. Weather reported cold front coming through yesterday but a cool clear morning today. Then in the dark of night they changed that to rain all morning and low forties with "feel like" thirties.

Anyhow, I got up and went. The rain started on the way down to the farm I was hunting. No problem, I wore my long johns and my milsurp rain parka. How rainy could it be. Pretty rainy and cold it turned out. Miserable in fact.

No matter because I could hear the gobbler I knew was there at daylight. He responded to may calls and came in at about 8:00. Him and two other longbeards plus a jake, followed up by about nine hens. Four gobblers twenty feet in front of me before I knew it with evil intentions about my jake and hen decoy.

I've been excited all year about my 1928 Ithaca/Lefever game and trap single shot which my friend GLS converted into a dedicated turkey gun for me. The conversion included a Sumtoy turkey choke and installation of a Burris Fast Fire red dot scope. I had checked the "zero" on the red dot last week and it was dead on with hand loaded TSS #8's. The pattern at 40 yards would fit on a volleyball, so you have to hold tight on'em when you shoot.

Well, these gobblers were less than ten yards out, so I waited until they'd moved off about thirty feet to try to shoot. UhOh, I had taken the scope cover off because I thought I could hold the scope under my jacket so it wouldn't get wet. Except it did; it was soaked and I had the red dot on high so all I could see through the blur was the refracted light of the red dot all over the biggest gobbler. It was like aiming straight into the sun. I tried to rub the rain off the scope but it just smeared and got worse.

I hoped I had the bird sighted right and took the shot but missed. I guess in the rain they must have thought it was just thunder because they all just sort of walked off. A few minutes later I chirped a few clucks at them and the whole bunch returned, but led by the hens this time. The dominant big gobbler returned with them though, this time at the perfect 40 yard distance for the TSS.

And I repeated my first fail as I tried again to aim through the wet blurred scope lenses. I've missed a lot of turkeys over the years but never two in one morning. Moral is Keep Your Scope Cover On in the Rain Until you are ready to shoot.

"Rapid Redemption"

Fast Track Redemption. Yesterday's bad luck turned sweet this morning. Doubleguner 67galaxie and I returned to the scene of my disaster this morning and sat together where I set up yesterday. I figured I could use somebody who can shoot.

The birds were still there and we called the whole bunch in again. My sight was not wet this morning and we doubled on the two biggest gobblers in the group of four from yesterday. Mine was the strutter because I shot first and 67galaxie followed up with another big guy. Biggest was twenty pounds, big for around here...Geo

2 members like this: GLS, 67galaxie
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey 67. Think I recognize that Husky.

Mike C
1 member likes this: 67galaxie
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Congrats to all the turkey slayers! I got one on our opening day too. The little Yildiz sxs 20 gauge dropped him at 30 yds.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

2 members like this: 67galaxie, GLS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice bird Mr. Coosa and a great picture. Side by sides and turkey hunting just seem to go together. Although I'll use a double sometimes I had to swear off automatics and pumps because once I start shooting I can't stop. A single seems best for me. Last time I had to tote 60 pounds of dead turkeys two miles out of the woods was the last time I wanted multiple shots...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Once every 5 or so years , I call a bird in for Dad.   He always uses the old Iver Johnson Champion that was found in the corner of attic in the first house he bought.   The "Choke Bore' barrel shoots as tight as most modern extended choke tubes.  It was quite an adventure and a memorable opening morning hunt. 

Last edited by Marks_21; 04/11/21 04:50 PM.
Page 39 of 40 1 2 37 38 39 40

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.