March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jtplumb, JDH, craigd, JayCee, Gunning Bird, 1 invisible), 347 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,991
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Lorne. Is there any difference with #11 caps noted as "Mags."?

Rich
SKB #593870 03/14/21 03:46 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by SKB
An Oval bore?
SKB you are a true renaissance man, with the knowledge to tease someone terribly in the most artful and delicate way about the obscure things that matter most to him. Unfortunately, no, not an oval bore, the machinery for which was apparently lost and which barrel makers tell me would be next to impossible to mill out today. This is a standard 1:72 turn Colerain barrel made for this one project, which is a .62-caliber rifle for me hunting your western big game. It is a pretty good copy of the Little Bat Garnier rifle by Folsom in a Nebraska museum, being made by Mark Wheland here in central PA. It is stocked in full curl sugar maple, the two first log slabs of which came off of one of our timber jobs about six years ago. I hardly see curly sugar maple any longer. It was a pretty big piece of wood, which also produced a long rifle stock for our local game warden's .54 flintlock. I gave the remaining 1/3 to Wheland, who I am sure will make a dandy flintlock from it for some very happy customer.
Better start hiding your mule deer once I get my hands on some percussion caps in three years

NRA Life
FOAC Life
PA Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Life
PA Trappers Association Life
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I can relate to the quest for a nice Muley with fine percussion rifle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
1 member likes this: pamtnman
Sidelock
Sidelock

yeah, i liked this picture from the moment I saw it. Don't tell anyone, but I keep this picture folded up in my wallet

NRA Life
FOAC Life
Sidelock
Sidelock

In shotgun, no. In rifle, there is a difference. In my Pedersoli Mortimer "Whitworth" .451 not (hexagonal) I find that I get slightly better groups with regular than magnum caps. But, using the same caps all the time is more important. Group size also changes with load and fineness of powder. Virtually anyone shooting rifle competitively uses Swiss or Eynsford, probably 2FFg or 3 FFg. Right now, most folks are shooting whatever powder they can find, exclusively.

Best of luck with it.

1 member likes this: pamtnman
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Lorne. I appreciate the explanation. I'm only shooting shotgun, 13 gauge from the 1850s with original nipples.

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

Should you wish to get replacement nipples, "Track of the Wolf" stocks quite a range of types and sizes, including oversize threads. They had some .225 X 32 (I think) that fit my Henry Egg 14 gauge, and worked even though they were revolver nipples.

Sounds like a very nice gun. Enjoy!

Sidelock
Sidelock

A small hole in the wall basement gun shop nearby I visited tonight had 200 CCI #11 percussion caps hanging up in a corner. Bought them right up and suddenly felt like my first percussion rifle had promise beyond looking nice. The owner said he’d try to find more from some old lady who supplies him, and he would like to trade them for 209s, which I do have. I haven’t felt this kind of optimism since 11/2/20

NRA Life
FOAC Life
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you, Lorne. I have talked with Track of the Wolf about possible replacement nipples and just about everything else I need! They only set up to produce nipples periodically. Next time they plan to do that is likely 4 months or so away. After talking with them I don't think they have any nipples in stock that would fit so I have to wait. The original nipples are very clean and work fine with the #11 caps. I see now that GunBroker is a possible source for #11 caps and #11 'mag' caps. The regular #11s work fine so I don't see any reason to get the 'mags'. Your help is much appreciated.

Rich
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.