March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (gunmaker, Sandlapper, Gunning Bird, 1 invisible), 350 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,005
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

This surge caught the ammo makers by surprise. The problem is that they were running at near 100% capacity according to Federal. So there is not much slack I. Production they can ramp up and they are not that willing to expand not knowing what long term demand will be. I expect them to wait until the mid term elections before any major changes. If the Republicans take back the house or Senate demand should drop but if they don’t then I expect this to last longer and we will see industry expansion. After all we are seeing prices so high that future prices should remain high for years. Not as stupid as now high but 25-50% higher than just a years ago.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Insightful answer Jon. One of the reasons I am glad that I mastered a skilled trade is that by offering to do welding jobs for area large scale farmers is it gets me (and son-in-law) access to private lands closed to hunting by others-- Did a large scale welding re-fab job on both grain bins, and also milking parlor gates (galv steel--- with proper protection against zinc fumes)--farmer used to shoot trap at area gun club--he had 9 full boxes of factory new AA 12 gauge 7&1/2 handicap loads- he didn't reload-- offered the whole lot to me in payment for a day's work--I said "Thanks, Jim" and brought them home-- I'll use them for crows, pigeons and the first barrel on my M21 for preserve fezzants- should last me a good long time--Just curios is all, but assuming a dealer (even Cabela's had them in stock, what are these loads retailing for today-assuming availability and no restrictions on the quantity you can buy-- 2 boxes a day limit, and the Grand Rapids Cabela's is a 60 mile round trip haul ?? Foxy

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

How many cartridges are you men actually shooting?

Do you even fire 1000 in a year?

I don’t see many 80-year-olds at my club.

None that are shooting 250 rounds a week.

I think this anxiety is misplaced.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The only solution to this is for everyone to quit panic buying!!! We shooters are the ones causing this!! This shortage isn't created by the government or the manufacturers, it's just simple supply & demand economics where the supply shortage is created out of unsubstantiated fear panic buying. There's no one to blame for this other than the man in the mirror, if he's one of those participating in this panic buying insanity.

The other crazy market right now that's close to this craziness is lumber. Have you priced dimensional lumber or plywood lately? This isn't a good time to take on a major building project when a $2.00 2" X 4" stud is now close to ten bucks & a sheet of 1/2" OSB is pushing thirty bucks and that's only if you can find decent quality supplies.

1 member likes this: nca225
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
How many cartridges are you men actually shooting?

Do you even fire 1000 in a year?

I don’t see many 80-year-olds at my club.

None that are shooting 250 rounds a week.

I think this anxiety is misplaced.

Starting the beginning of next month at least 1,200 rounds a month until grouse season opens. More in a good month. If I don't shoot at least a flat a week it is a crappy week or I am on call which is the same thing.

Not as much as I used to as I am getting too old for Blizzard leagues and that other winter nonsense. The cold hurts my bones now, 80 is a ways off for me yet though.

My concern is that several of the replies are spot on. Not sure we will ever see a flat for $65 or under again but hope I am wrong. 20 even 30 years ago a box of shells cost $5-$6 so we have had it pretty decent for awhile. Not that I am complaining. I used to reload to save money but 5-10 years ago when lead really took off in price purchased factory shells as it wasn't worth it to reload the 12 and 20. Or even the 16 when Cabela's had the Herter's on sale for $50 a flat delivered to your door. I've started reloading again but of course components are hard to find and expensive when you do find them. Lead is still the most expensive component of the shell, as long as you don't pay what the price hogs are asking for other components.

Have enough factory and reloads to get through the summer of this year, I think. Been through shortages in the past but never anything like this. Powder and 22 yes. But never seen where you couldn't find factory shotgun shells anywhere. Well maybe 40+ years ago when 16 ga. shells were hard to find and I finally bought a 12 ga. because of it. But nothing like this.

Last edited by Cold Iron; 03/14/21 12:02 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
....I think this anxiety is misplaced.
The congressman who heads the committee that just got two gun control bills sent over to the senate is ideologically rooted in his home state. Defacto registration and criminalization of transfers aside, reaquaint yourself with what Californians have to do to purchase ammo. Then decide if anything is even slightly misplaced. I personally shoot many thousands of rounds of rifle and pistol ammo each year, just had the grandkids out and they can shoot as much as their hearts desire, but I look at a stash that there was a time that I wouldn't have wondered and worried about running down.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Supply chain issues more than anything else. I have a multitude of items on back order at the moment, triggers, sights, barrels, bottom metal, ammo. You name it and the supply chain has been disrupted due to Covid.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I didn't want to get a brough-ha-ha going on this (part 2) of my query- but as St. Patty's day is a loomin'- well, our half-vast femme Gov. changed the rules and regs- so that if you have a valid picture i.d.'d CPL (as I do) you just used that in lieu pf the NICS background check if you were, let's say, buying a new shotgun for duck hunting- now, if that is what is your plan, you have to fill out the entire form, wait for the dealer to call your data in, and get a positive response from the Feds- All part of new phase of gun regs and frustrations for all of us here who are responsible gun owners-- If Biden, Schumer, Pelosi, Feinstein and their Ilk stay in positions of power- add to that sad fact that Anton Scalia is gone, and the NRA in financial dis-array( due to wayne LaPierre's financial fubars) we are looking at dark days ahead-- one sure fire way to control gun possession is to make the ammo almost impossible to get-even if you had J.P. Morgan's checkbook-RWTF

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by SKB
Supply chain issues more than anything else. I have a multitude of items on back order at the moment, triggers, sights, barrels, bottom metal, ammo. You name it and the supply chain has been disrupted due to Covid.

I think you are wrong. Check with friends that do other gun work, there's been a huge shift to producing barrels, triggers, scope bases/rings, etc for the precision rifle market. Have you seen any ammo manufacturer reports of covid setbacks, don't they all report 24/7 production shifts?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Also, find out from the widow, when the time seems proper, not only about the ammo-and if her deceased husband was a fisherman-specifically for trout- good friend and master plumber often found fishing rod cases stashed in the floor joists and bracing in older houses where the gent had passed. Just as much as you might find a 20 bore Parker in the effects of a deceased grouse and woodcock hunter(nd a library of Burt Spiller and Wm. Hardon Foster books on "Sir Ruff"- if you find Ernie Schweibert books in the Library, you might turn up a fine Payne or Pre-fire Leonard fly rod- Hardy reel-RWTF

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.