March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gunning Bird, 3 invisible), 346 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#593622 03/09/21 10:11 PM
dukxdog Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

...a "Best" gun?

Is it the quality of Purdey, Westley Richards, H&H or Boss?

I've never held one but I found one in the configuration I like. It's priced similar to the above maker guns. At that price I wouldn't buy it. If it was half of list price I might give it a go. I see them priced in my price point but this one is quite high priced I think for what it is.

What can you share with me about Hussey Imperials?

With a fine gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fine guns,not seen a bad one,lovely handling in 29" barreled ones !! Very Holland like.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Judging my Imperial Ejector I'd say it is a "Best Gun". Ticks all the boxes and is just down right beautiful. Not in the Trinity but one would be hard pressed to find anything lacking. Best of all it fits me very well!

1 member likes this: Imperdix
Sidelock
Sidelock

Haha. A wise man just told me he’s not buying anymore guns. I think they are every bit as good, just not the name. But high quality nonetheless

Sidelock
Sidelock

I owned one several years ago, it was certainly a "Best" quality gun.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Imperial was Hussey's best gun. The Imperial name was used to signify their best gun through the different business arrangements of H J Hussey (i.e., Lang & Hussey, Hussey and Hussey, Harrison and Hussey, Ogden Smiths & Hussey,etc.). Hussey didn't make a lot guns and has in some writings an interesting past with business dealings. They are very quality made guns without the name cache. I think some people will say the barrels are dovetail vice chopper lump. Which gets back to the age old question "what is a best gun?"

Ken

Last edited by KDGJ; 03/10/21 10:01 PM.
RCC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought and sold one a dozen or so years ago and I think I gave something around 6 grand for it. I sold it for something around 6 grand a year later. I was a fine gun and I especially liked the diamond shaped wrist. Having shot a number of best guns, I can't say that any of them handled any better, or were better eye candy. But because of the price difference and the difference in salability and desirability as established by the market place, I don't think they are considered a "best" gun.

I don't really remember, but I think I bought that gun at an estate sale.

bc
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Best gun" is based solely on the Original Quality (OQ) grade of the gun, not at all on the Brand Value (maker's name) level or on the Current Condition (CC) level.

Interesting that you said you would be interested at about 1/2 the price of a equal "best work" by Boss/H&H/Purdey/Woodward (the BV1 brands) as that is exactly what a BV3 - OQ1 - CCx is valued at compared to a BV1 - OQ1 -CCx. All brands were capable of getting out a "best work" gun; whether they had sufficient in-workers or had to rely on out-workers. Which brand sold is for BV, but the standard to which it was made is OQ. "Bests" were roughly the same price when new. The after market has added BV and CC to the valuation.

Hussey is BV3 and OQ of the Imperial is OQ1. Give me a description of the gun's current condition (CC) and I will post back a value based on a truck load of auction research.

DDA

Last edited by Rocketman; 03/11/21 08:21 PM. Reason: typos
Sidelock
Sidelock

https://www.englishguns.com/guns/hussey-h-j-imperial-side-by-side-16-gauge/

I believe this is the gun in question

I think he meant he'd be interested in this gun at half the price

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lovely gun, restocked for sure. No pictures of the barrel flats either. Well more that I would pay for it.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.