April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (LRF, GETTEMANS, SKB, 2 invisible), 633 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,814
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm in South LA, but have a 20 guage parker with almost no blueing left on the barrels. Any chance you can remove a small dent also or is that out of the wheelhouse?

battle #592974 02/25/21 07:46 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cole and Frank Haugh

(513) 518-6722

Full service shop, dents, chokes, wood work, checkering, metal work, part fabrication, just about anything you need for fair prices.

Last edited by bsteele; 02/25/21 08:22 PM.
bsteele #592976 02/25/21 09:04 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Buck Hamlin, does rust blue, Pevely, MO. Reasonable and good turn around.

RARiddell #593079 02/27/21 06:06 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don’t have the coin to have mine professionally redone. I soaked my barrels in a capped off 3” PVC pipe filled with vinegar for an hour and then sanded all the spotty surface rust off the barrels with 400 grit sand paper till they looked satin 416 stainless. Took about 3 mutes or to do so. I then put the barrels back in the vinegar bath overnight. I. Removed the barrel the next any. I immediately washed them off in water and sanded again starting with 320 grit and then 400 grit. I didn’t have browning solution but had Oxpho hand. I applied a good coat till my barrels were black. I then sanded very lightly with 400 grit sandpaper while running my barrels under running water. Once the finish looked even I coated the outside of my barrels with boiled Lindsey’s oil and polished the inside of my barrels and applied a good amount of oil. My gun will never be a perfect, all original “don’t touch, don’t use” safe queen and just want it function properly and to look good. I fixed it up to use for turkey hunting. The stock is getting refinished now.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This picture below was the rusty barrel before I started....

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02/27/21 07:47 PM.
1 member likes this: 82nd Trooper
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by David Williamson
If I'm not mistaken shipping a gun to get it fixed whether it has the receiver or not is not against FFL regulations, you are not selling it, just getting it fixed.

You are NOT mistaken. You absolutely DO NOT need an FFL, nor need to SHIP to one, to have your gun worked on in almost every state. Some require the RECIPIENT to have one...but NEVER the shipper as long as it isn't a sale, only repair.

I almost cant believe guys who own guns dont know this. It's like owning a car and not knowing how to check the oil.

I swear the Left has half their work done for them by people who imagine gun laws, like all these half-wits on GB who won't ship to some states because of some imaginary trouble they will get into.

NDG

RARiddell #593402 03/05/21 10:01 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just finished the wood as well. Might not be a perfect job but I wanted it as a shooter, not a collectors item to just look at and hang on the wall. That’s what pictures are for. I won’t own a gun that I can’t shoot. Imo I like the way it turned out with a few imperfections left in the stock so it still looks old, weathered, and vintage.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03/05/21 10:11 AM.
RARiddell #593404 03/05/21 10:24 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

That barrel looks very nice for just using common materials that a smith-enthusiast would already have. I have some project guns that look the same as your before picture that have twist or Damascus patterns that need cleaned up enough to just show the patterns better. I will definitely give your process a try.

Sidelock
Sidelock

82nd Trooper,
If you use Triplebeads process, I suggest you use 0000 steel wool after applying the Oxpho Blue, and letting it dry, instead of the 400 grit abrasive.
Mike

1 member likes this: 82nd Trooper
RARiddell #593428 03/05/21 06:51 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dear Ami-Thanks for the advice.

RARiddell #593441 03/05/21 11:24 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I tried 0000 steel wool and it did not cut the bluing one bit. I then tried a scotch brite pad with not taking any bluing off either. They weren’t abrasive enough to remove bluing. All they will do it remove the uneven bluing build up to give a nice even dark bluing completely hiding the Damascus pattern. I then tried 400 grit sand paper and it took the bluing off where I didn’t want it. I sanded nice and light while running the barrel under water. To wash it away and to be able to tell your getting a nice even look. Go slow and take your time. You’ll be scrubbing all day with 0000 steel wool and your barrel will still be dark blue. All 0000 steel wool does is remove the uneven build up. You need to remove the bluing you just applied so it leaves only bluing in the Damascus pattern. I have finished many complete guns with Oxpho bluing and can tell you your not going to scrub the bluing off enough to see the Damascus unless you are going to go through a couple of bags of 0000 steel wool . You will end up with a dark blued barrel with just one coat. Larry potterfield showed on his YouTube video to refinish Damascus barrels using 320 grit to sand his Damascus barrels before bluing. I cannot see any sanding marks from 400 grit. It looks like it was polished when I got done. You can alway try 600 or finer sandpaper if 400 scares you. Most of the guns below had deep rust pitting on them of removed by filing, sanding, and polishing before bluing. They all looked like they were ready to junk out and disassemble for parts.

Here is a few other complete Oxpho blued guns I’ve done recently

[img][/img]

I even did a fake case hardening look...

[img]https://i.imgur.com/oCwclWa.jpg[/img

It’s your gun, do what you want, but at least you can see results of someone that actually refinished a Damascus barrel instead of taking advise from someone who thinks they know it all. You’ve seen my results and it works. Good luck, and post your barrels when done.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03/06/21 12:36 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.