March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (NCTarheel, Marc Ret, Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 338 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,003
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

So indeed a Westley Richards Doll's Head Extension Toplever????

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Might have anyone seen this type >>tab<< prior; even on a WR? Is it a stop?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I gave my rusty old barrel a vinegar bath over night and sanded it with 320 and 400 grit sandpaper. I then put a coat of Oxpho blue on the barrels and buffed off the top coat off with 600 grit sandpaper till the only bluing that was left was in the domascus lines. I then wiped it down with Lind seed oil. You should have seen all the rust that came off of the barrels when I wet sanded it after an hour of soaking in vinegar. I used a 4’ 3” PVC tube caped off on one end for the vinegar bath. I think it turned out nice. You can see the domascus pattern clearly now with all the dark blotchy rust spots removed. Sure looks a lot better to me!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A faux case hardened the receiver with Oxpho blue...

Before....after I cleaned and polished the solid rusted receiver, had new hammers installed, but left the barrel as is.

I’m stripping the wood as we speak and steaming out dents.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02/26/21 09:36 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I removed 99.9% of the dings, scratches, and dents. I am on coat #4 of BLO. It’s starting to darken back up. It’s no where near perfect but looks a million times better then before IMO. There were a few deep scratches and dings I couldn’t remove but feel completely smooth to the touch now. I like have a dew imperfections left in the wood so it still looks old and vintage. I filled in the deep gouge marks that someone probably made with a screw driver to remove the side plates at one time. Figured a few dark scratch marks left in it would give it some character. I removed some of fake case hardening look I made with Oxpho blue on the receiver as well. Any idea what kind of wood this is? This is bad picture and doesn't do the wood justice. The long dark marks running up and down the butt stock reminds me of tiger maple.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03/13/21 02:41 PM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.