March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (HalfaDouble, earlyriser, coosa, Marc Ret, Gunning Bird, Mills), 384 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Joe Wood
JB, Please go ahead and post those hammers on the hammer thread. They are beautifully done and well proportioned!
Ok, Joe. Will try this weekend to get sharper images of the hammers to post in your great thread.

Sidelock
Sidelock

DblFixer,

Graham Greener's book on Greener guns ("The Greener Story") details the various Greener models and associated features. The book is readily available from places like amazon. The books includes many photos which is really helpful. I recommend the book

As others have posted, if you are lucky, the model designation is located to the rear of the trigger guard. But if there is nothing there, there are lots of other features the distinguish a higher grade Greener gun. One note of caution though is that there are lots of exceptions to the rule - e.g., the lack of engraving on otherwise high grade guns that Eightbore mentioned. At the top end, the presence of the gold engraved crown and scepter is a give-way. Hammerless high grade guns usually had arcaded or serpentine fences and came with a bolstered action. Extensive engraving, heavily figured wood, the presence of things like horn inserts at stock wrist, and intricate checkering are also indicators. But again, by themselves are not definitive. I have a Greener royal "G gun" that I can snap some pictures of and post over the weekend that may be helpful.

For a fee, Greener will check their ledgers and provide information on a gun if you provide the serial number. You can contact them thru their website.

Ken

CJF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by DblFixer
Hi,
What does one look for to recognize a Pre 1900 W W Greener SxS as a High grade firearm. Extensive engraving? Marks on the watertable? Patent number?
Regards DblFixer

WW Greener guns were built to a defined grading system, and the best way to understand that is to buy Graham Greener's book. As stated above, many guns, but not all, will have that grade engraved on the trigger guard tang. The advantage here is that if you can identify the grade, you know where in the spectrum of grades it falls. I'm not sure where to define that with the respect to the term "high grade" but I guess somewhere starting at the upper end of the mid grades (which were already expensive guns), so starting at FH35 or 40. These grades, at least at one time, represented the price of the gun, so a 40 cost more than a 35. But real high grades start with the G-grade guns and above in my opinion, and I believe they started after the FH50. Lastly, like many gunmakers, the level of engraving decreased over time for a given grade (I have 3 FH35s and there's a noticeable change from the earliest to the latest (about a 25 year span, ending in 1914 for my 3.

Beyond that, I'd look for features like:

1. Engraving coverage (although there are exceptions)
2. Shaping of the action fences, especially scalloped or arcaded fences or additional beading, also any reinforcing bulsters under the receiver balls
3. Wood quality (grain)
4. Ebony inlays in wood behind action
5. Engraving on barrels (not the top rib, but the breach end of the barrels.)
6. Toe and heel plates for the butt

For the vintage you're talking about, a customer could order whatever they wanted, so the world is full of exceptions.

Lastly, while Greener made all types of guns from economy singles through heavy double rifles, remember that WW Greener marketed the facile princeps design (which looks like a rounded boxlock) as superior to the sidelock and Anson & Deeley boxlock, so high grade FP guns were among their highest quality offerings.

I love Greeners cause they're a little different. Not rare, but different, and consistently good quality.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for the info
regards
DblFixer

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Anson deeley pat it's marked.200 ww greener very plain early 1878 but under the action plate is marked, brazier does anyone have information on brazier making guns for greener?

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Brazier was a lockmaker.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brazier signed the greener under the triggerplate it is a really early Anson deeley boxlock.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.