March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Roundsworth, GSPWillie, LeFusil, 2 invisible), 307 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#592208 02/15/21 11:01 AM
halifax Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have an older cleaning rod that has a neatly drilled hole, about 1/4" diameter, through the end brass and about 3/4 of an inch below where the cleaning jag gets screwed in. Any idea what its purpose might be?

Sidelock
Sidelock

To insert a pin to facilitate unscrewing the jag?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

halifax Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The hole is not in the jag but in the rod itself. Maybe I wasn't very clear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

thread a rag or patch through the hole to wipe bore.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by halifax
The hole is not in the jag but in the rod itself. Maybe I wasn't very clear.

I understood you. I still think that is what it is for. The jag is a larger diameter and easier to hold on to, though it too can have a crosswise hole for the same purpose. The rod is skinny, oily and hard to hold on to, hence the hole to run your turnscrew through for leverage.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

halifax Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

BrentD Thanks, That makes sense.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have always beleaved that the hole at the top of vintage set of cleaning rods below the top threaded hole that at that time would hold a Turk's head brush rather than a jag especially if the hole has a tapered enterence, it was used to hold a piece of "Flax or Cotton Tow" used for cleaning or oiling the bore.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
halifax Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Damascus: On closer inspection of that hole, it is not threaded. The hole is actually egg shaped, or slight oval, and with champhered edges on on both sides of the hold. It appears to have been used quite a lot in times past so your comment about it holding flax or cotton tow makes some sense. The rod is of a higher quality when compared to new rosewood rods sold today.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Halifax take a look at the photograph. This is a two piece Ebony rod pre 1850. It has two holes one at the extreme end of the Brass fitting that has a Turk,s Head brush fitted, then below that is the larger hole that takes the Flax or Cotton Tow this hole can be round or oval I have seen both. Now the threaded hole that has the Turk's Head fitting also came with a long Brass large headed screw when the rod was new, this screw enters the larger hole below to apply pressure on the material passing through the hole holding it fast. As luck would have it I cant find the screw it is not lost just gone walkabout.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Halifax take a look at the photograph. This is a two piece Ebony rod pre 1850. It has two holes one at the extreme end of the Brass fitting that has a Turk,s Head brush fitted, then below that is the larger hole that takes the Flax or Cotton Tow this hole can be round or oval I have seen both. Now the threaded hole that has the Turk's Head fitting also came with a long Brass large headed screw when the rod was new, this screw enters the larger hole below to apply pressure on the material passing through the hole holding it fast. As luck would have it I cant find the screw it is not lost just gone walkabou

Last edited by damascus; 02/17/21 11:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.