March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Karl Graebner, Marc Ret, LeFusil, SKB, RWG, Ken Nelson), 282 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

At some point in time, I signed up for the email distribution list at Delaney and sons.

Can’t remember where, or at what shoot.

I know that they coordinate a number of shooting excursions each year.

They recently sent me an invitation to a driven shoot held in Maryland on the 25th.

I am just curious if anyone here might be attending, or has any experience booking holidays through Delaney and sons.

The event is sxs’ only, period attire, hospitalities, etc.

I think it’s a 350-400 bird day.

Anyone?

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was scheduled last year, if was delayed until this fall , maybe. I have two friends that have done been with them and spoke highly of them. We had a web call today with new owner of J Dickson , organized by Sean Delaney, very interesting

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Driven shoot in Maryland? Is it a tower shoot or something like that? I've done one sort of driven shoot in the States (not a tower shoot), and I was not impressed. Haven't done any tower shoots, but from what I understand, when they talk about numbers, they're talking about birds released, not birds bagged. Shooting in Scotland, whatever number bird day always referred to the bag, not the number of birds driven over the guns.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I don’t know Larry. I read the description, looked at a video, it looks like there’s an estate/club in Maryland that has enough topography to push released birds over a team of guns.

I don’t think it’s a tower shoot, I don’t think they are using air cannons, I think they’re just released and driven.

Everyone has their own view of these things.

Winter birds, well presented, it could be great fun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used to shoot at a driven shoot in Illinois, where the birds were thrown from within a big stand of trees. Gunners were well spread out around the trees. It was great the first two times, birds coming fast on one side where the window was small and on the lower side of the woods birds reached height and got up speed before in range. Then it changed to guys loading up repeaters with duck loads and blasting at the birds right as they reached height but hadn't started their down flight. Totally destroyed it for me standing in the field with my 100 year old sxs and 1 oz loads.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think the price on the handful of shoots I’ve looked at that do this, reflects your anxiety.

I’m also confident that in the US it’s a hard sell outside of a handful of Markets.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I kind of like tower shoots because it is fun to shoot at pheasants which are not our local gamebirds. They are good to eat as well. I'd much rather go to the Midwest and attempt to shoot wild ones. I shot released birds the last years of my quail hunting career just for the sake of my bird dogs. I've never been on a European style driven bird shoot and don't expect to ever do it.

One outfit around here tried to have 'flighted' mallard shoots where the boxed birds were tossed up by handlers 100 yards up the hill from the 'duckpond'. The trees weren't thick enough. It was a joke...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

My club here calls it a continental. The throwers get in a large clump of bushes/trees surrounded by the gunners. Then the birds are thrown/released. After so many birds the gunners rotate. I've never tried it. Sounds like a slaughter, not what i'm interested in.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Tamid
My club here calls it a continental. The throwers get in a large clump of bushes/trees surrounded by the gunners. Then the birds are thrown/released. After so many birds the gunners rotate. I've never tried it. Sounds like a slaughter, not what i'm interested in.

It is a slaughter. I think of released birds as high priced poultry. The slaughter doesn't bother me any more than chicken houses, but the practice has raised a lot of money for good causes...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds appalling! A sportsman`s nightmare,why can`t they do it properly?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.