March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hammergun, Stanton Hillis, SKB, 2 invisible), 287 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,979
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those pictures make my try gun look better than it does in person. Thank you so much. I will try to fix the crack in the checkered butt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The whole thing sounds vaguely like a marketing exercise, very resembling modern "golf club fitting." There are very few out there who can mount a gun consistently (Stan being among the few). The rest of us have to deal with the day-to-day distractions.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Boxlock
Boxlock

The Beesley-invented try gun is at George Gibbs Ltd. I believe Mr. Crudgington uses it to this day, although not so much lately due to the CCP virus.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I own a Westley Richards try gun. According to WR they have only made 6. Here's a few photos that I have saved. I can't take anymore as the barrels and action are off getting refinished. I asked WR when it was made and they came back with 1879. Not too sure on that. It has ejectors, single selective trigger and damascus barrels. I only have the one length extension for 15". They were made with a small suitcase full of them.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I just read this thread this morning. I guess I missed it due to being hospitalized and in rehab during the time it ran. The last couple posts brought it back to the top, fortunately, and I thoroughly enjoyed it over my first cup of java. Thanks to all who posted pics and information. Your Parker try gun is in great condition, Bill.

Gene, having been fitted once with the use of a try gun I cannot say that gun fittings are a marketing ploy. I think they have usefulness, and the try gun speeds up the process immeasurably. As I have mentioned in a previous thread my first fitting was done by myself, with tape, cardboard and an adjustable buttplate. The resulting dimensions were almost exactly the same as the results from the try gun fitting. So, it can be done by someone's self if willing to shoot at a grease plate enough to make the proper adjustments. That said, it is very easy to spend an hour with a good gunfitter and get the exact measurements you need. I completely agree that the consistent, proper gun mount is the key. If you don't develop that before going for the fitting it will be largely a waste of time and money, IMO, and in the opinion of the gun fitter I used.

BTW, as I recall, the try gun he used was an O/U. He told me that the measurements for it would be minutely different, in a couple places, than those for a S X S. I probably have the card he gave me with the dimensions that he wrote on it, and I can't remember if he wrote what would be changed for a S X S, or not.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I personally own a Churchill try gun and it is a fully operational gun. Some try guns are not able to shoot.

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.