March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (bigblock, Borderbill, NCTarheel, SKB, docbill, battle), 866 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,019
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#590947 01/27/21 10:05 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thought I would share this here because it is first hand info. It will generate the typical hateful replies from the the left wing loons here, so if it degrades to the point Dave has to delete it, I will understand why.

Earlier today, my better half called her old college roommate, who she has remained very close to for nigh on 46 years, to check on her recovery from some recent surgery. After a quick exchange on her condition, she told mbh something quite unsettling.

Her ex-roomie's husband was a member of a now-disbanded very popular band that was in high demand in the region for events of all kinds. They were very good and stayed together for probably 30 years or more.

As a result of his many years in the band, his hearing isn't what it used to be. He still enjoys his music, teaching guitar, recording stuff, etc. One thing he enjoys is listening to playlists, Pandora, and such when he showers each morning, cranking up the volume full blast in order to hear it.

Today, this morning, as he was listening to his music as he showered, his volume went way down, so he opens his shower door to check the volumeon his device and sees this on the screen: "the World Health Organization has determined that you are listening to this at way too high decibels" and they (the WHO) then proceeded to turn down the volume on his laptop!

Welcome to the New World Order folks...
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 01/27/21 10:10 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Turns out Pandora has been messing with people's volumes for a decade or so (maybe more, but I see people complaining about it in posts from 2013). The added WHO warning is probably just to justify what they've already been doing (and fielding complaints about) for years.

Looks like spotify and other music services (or the apps?) have been doing the same thing. https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/273484-disable-loud-volume-warning.html

Last edited by Woodreaux; 01/27/21 10:45 PM.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

To a very few of you this won't have any meaning coming from me. You think of me as an ultra-right wing conservative. That's perfectly okay ........I'm not trying to convince, those few of, you of anything. But, this is my take. Don't discount John because of anything he says, regardless how strange it may sound. I know John personally, and have for a long time. He and his family are the salt of the earth. We have shared the field, and the table, together. When John says something, he believes it with all his being, and I trust him and his judgement.

So, don't discount this as being the rantings of someone on the fringe, regardless how hard for you to believe it may be.

Prepare. Adjust. If you don't, when the wolf is at the door it will be too late.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My version isn’t messed with by anyone. I throw 6 CDs into the Onkyo player, which feeds the signal into the preamp, which then goes into the dual mono amplifier, conservatively rated at a cool 100 watts per channel. From there, it goes into a pair of Klipsch Heresy speakers, finished in bookend matched black walnut.

Turn it down my ass. If it wasn’t for the drag racing, live music, gun play, motorcycles, and a 40 year career in the finishing end of commercial print, I might not need to play it loud.

But, I probably still would.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Was just listening to Rod Drehers book, Live Not By Lies, today. And the chapter I ended with was about the invitation of corporate (and government) surveillance and input into our lives in the form of phones, smart speakers, internet searches, etc. (I e the wolf isn't at the door, he's in your pocket).

It's a good book so far, and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the soft totalitarianism of the radical left. (My only criticism of the book so far is that Mr Dreher seems to maybe miss the also real threat of totalitarianism of the extrene right, granting that that threat is not as present at the moment. In my view, the problem with both varieties of extremism is the willingness to accept as true only those things that reinforce what they already believe and to be willing to prepetrate violence of one kind or another on those who do not accept their ideas as sacrosanct and infallible).

Anyway, my only point in the reply above was that this Pandora thing turns out not to be a case of Big Brother sneaking into the bathroom so much as the Nanny State treating us like snowflakes who need to be reminded to "turn that damn music down or you'll hurt your ears!"

Last edited by Woodreaux; 01/27/21 11:49 PM.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

I once had a fine Onkyo, until a druggie broke into my house one October day and stole it. He spent several years in the pen for that.

I can agree with every bit of that post, Ted, except for the part about commercial printing. But, that can be easily substituted with a lifetime of farming with loud equipment and machinery.

However ..........when they start messing with your volume on personal devices, what's next? Don't be surprised at whatever it is.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: Woodreaux
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
I once had a fine Onkyo, until a druggie broke into my house one October day and stole it. He spent several years in the pen for that.

I can agree with every bit of that post, Ted, except for the part about commercial printing. But, that can be easily substituted with a lifetime of farming with loud equipment and machinery.

However ..........when they start messing with your volume on personal devices, what's next? Don't be surprised at whatever it is.

My personal devices is a pretty small list, Stan. This IPad, an out-of-date IPod in the truck to listen to music, plugged into the truck radio, that it seems I still control the volume on.

That, is it. Bet I could get by without either of the above, as well.

Lloyd will vouch for the fact I never caught the cell phone bug.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by John Roberts
..."the World Health Organization...
#There’sanappforthat

Alcohol, tobacco, loud music, pepperoni, ham and bacon pizza, big screen TV aka Lonny Rhodes internationally (Hi, Canada!) famous hockey parties. Like to give the WHO a case of the fantods.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Woodreaux
....(My only criticism of the book so far is that Mr Dreher seems to maybe miss the also real threat of totalitarianism of the extrene right, granting that that threat is not as present at the moment. In my view, the problem with both varieties of extremism is the willingness to accept as true only those things that reinforce what they already believe and to be willing to prepetrate violence of one kind or another on those who do not accept their ideas as sacrosanct and infallible).

Anyway, my only point in the reply above was that this Pandora thing turns out not to be a case of Big Brother sneaking into the bathroom so much as the Nanny State treating us like snowflakes who need to be reminded to "turn that damn music down or you'll hurt your ears!"
Have you considered the mainstreaming and disparity of the funding amounts between your polar extremes. Pliability of the lead and track record of the second aside, have you seen the resumes of the various appointed czars and cabinet selections, policy makers. What does radical left mean?

Sidelock
Sidelock

craigd, yes on the consideration. that's why I said "the threat [of the totalitarian right] is not as present at the moment." Meaning that currently, especially after the most recent election but also because the companies upon whom we all generally depend have bought into the leftist agenda, the threat to individual liberty (and general sanity) from the right is generally not worth comparing to the threat from the radical left.

By radical left, I mean those who would enforce their leftist agenda by any means necessary. In the West right now, that looks like loss of jobs, academic sideling, cancel culture, etc. It's not the gulag, but it's not unrelated.

I have to admit that watching a crowd of extreme rightists storm our capitol this month made the picture look a little less one sided.

"Violence of one kind or another."

Jim
1 member likes this: SKB
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.