April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Steve Nash, j7l2, Argo44, CJ Dawe, Tyler, 1 invisible), 445 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,213
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Growing up, I always thought one of the Stevens model 22-410 break open combo guns would have been the ne plus ultra for small game hunting. I finally bought one as an adult, but admit to not having used it much. This thread may cause me to go find out what it will do at the plate w/ 1/2oz. #6 shot at 30 yds. and on a target at 25 yards from the RF bbl. At the moment, I have not a clue of its actual performance capabilities. Now my curiosity is piqued.
A friend has a beater grade Savage 20ga x .222 Remington that is used as a ranch truck gun. I doubt it has fired a box of cartridges in either bbl in its life, but it has been used against the ocassional rattlesnake & coyote.

FWIW, the prices any of the older Savage/Stevens combos bring down here at the gun shows are way above what the BlueBook says. Today, I would look at one of the Russian made O/U's for a reasonably priced O/U combo rifle/shotgun. I do not imagine that the shotgun/rifle combo in several dif forms would have existed w/o some valid use for it .. ranch truck guns, camp guns, small game, mixed bags, boar hunting, all come to mind as potentially useful applications. I don't personally know of many refs to their being used for wing shooting, but they should not prove any more awkward than many an older shotgun ;-)
Using a broad brush, the American versions I am familiar with are heavy and stocked to be shot as a rifle while the European guns that I have seen are generally lighter and stocked to be more dynamic.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Paradox guns are neither fish nor fowl - can't serve two masters at the same time.
They are always lacking that something!

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne
Paradox guns are neither fish nor fowl - can't serve two masters at the same time.
They are always lacking that something!

Regarding Holland and Westley rifled choke guns and your above referenced premise, you sir, are mistaken.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In reviewing this thread once again, and paying particular attention to PM"s (junior member) comments, I have to admit I got lost again. Equating a 22-410 Savage? or a 6.5 x12 Baikal to a Paradox costing only a "bit more than an RBL" is nuts. I bought a Baikal for 349.00 for the purpose stated. So far I have harvested a couple of WT deer, a platoon of prairie chickens, and a few coyotes with it. That in my mind, makes it useful for both "Fur and Feather". I think its still in the Ford pickup, but I aint sure. I dunno where my Paradox is....

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lost Dollar,
I refer back to the title of the post. If this post has a monetary amount on combo guns of 350 dollars or less, then I guess the discussion is limited to the Baikal.
I am a junior member and by pointing that out I suppose you are just trying to make a positive impression on me in the worst way.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I apologize, didnt really mean to do that! Trying to be a lil TIC, as in your use of the term "Sir". No offense intended.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thats exactly why so few Paradox guns were made.
Not the best of both worlds here - for the man who could afford the best.
The gent who could shoot a gamegun driven, would stalk with a rifle. No such thing as pinching pennies with this kind.

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell,
I don't think the original purchaser bought a Paradox "instead of" but "in addition too." He certainly didn't need it England but found it quite useful when venturing into the wilds of the Empire. The gun was popular enough that every other maker came out with his own version or ultimatly copied it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Like TW, I have one of the Savage combos -- a Stevens Model 22-410 which was the precurser to the Model 24. It is a great "barn gun" for general use around the farm. But I only use it when my Paradox is back in London having the sears hardened.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.