March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dale May, NZHunter, SKB, 1 invisible), 308 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
CJF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Picked up a small single shot in 360 2.25". It's a top grade Alexander Henry small frame takedown falling block. It has some issues I'm exploring, but first off, I wanted to try a new image hosting service here to see if it works out (picr.de).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Make sure you examine the wrist very closely for cracks - the Henrys are bad about cracking along the line between the loading trough and the mainspring inlet (sometimes you can see daylight through the inletting alone, they are so thin there).
It looks like it'll be a dandy with a little cleaning!
How's the bore?

CJF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thankfully no cracks. The whole rifle is very dainty. The stock and action weigh only 38.8ozs (2 lbs, 6.7ozs). The forearm is 4.2ozs. The entire rifle's weight fully assembled is 5 lbs 1.7ozs.

Bore is great.

The defect with the rifle is that the barrel is either a replacement or has been abused in that it does not fit properly within recess in the boss coming out the front of the receiver.

When you install the barrel, the final mating of the lug to the recess causes the muzzle to rise slightly, resulting in the barrel's underside lifting out of the channel in the action boss by a millimeter or two. The receiver still appears undamaged and square. I would think that a smith could either tig some additional material to the lug and refile to fit, or remove the existing lug and fashion a new one, and refit to the barrel.

The barrel was at one time fitted with a scope. Perhaps the additional weight on the scope stressed the system. Or the more modern 360 2.25 nitro rounds were fired, and not the lighter 360 BPE or NFB. Barrel is proved for 22gr of cordite and a 190gr bullet, and is marked 360 2.25" Has both BP and NP proofs. The barrel is not marked with a manufacturer's name. Lock is marked Alex Henry.

I will need to get additional pictures up and gather some further opinions on how to make this right and who to have do the work.

CJF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Additional pictures to help show the problem. Note that the lug or boss coming out the front of the receiver, into which the barrel lug rotates (and which has the pivot pin for the lever that drops the block) shows signs of mistreatment by someone who didn't know what they were doing, but apparently owned a vise. What a jerk.

Last edited by CJF; 01/01/21 11:24 PM.
CJF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Neat little rifle. I saw that one listed at auction and considered giving it a home myself. Any issues other than the fact that a scope was once mounted to it?

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
CJF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not that I can find Steve, besides the barrel fit issue described right above this block of pictures.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Likely a re-barrel then, every A. Henry I have had in my hands was signed on the barrel. Henry rifling or conventional?

The lug sure does not look to fit the recess correctly. Hard saying if repairing the fit of that barrel will be worth the effort or not.
Steve

Here for the meltdowns
CJF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I would be satisfied with either a new barrel or this one fit. Would be work that presumably would be unique, at least in this application

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Give a call if you like, right up my alley. I have a thing for both Scottish rifles and single shots.

Here for the meltdowns
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.