March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, smlekid), 295 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looking for recommendations for a vintage higher powered scope, maybe 8 power, to be mounted on a 1947 Husqvarna Mauser in .220 Swift. Don't want to break the bank but would like something with good enough glass to use on crows at distance. Have had a Lyman 25X LWBR on it for over 20 years, but took it off to use briefly on another rifle to work up a load, and am considering putting something not quite so strong back on it.

Any ideas?

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A Fecker Woodchucker comes in at about 8x usually. It has a fairly large objective. There are many Feckers in the 8x range, but most are unmarked. They are all very good scopes but have smaller objectives and may be slightly dimmer. Any Lyman Supertarget Spot will do the job but I don't see many as low as 8x. Unertls of course, but they are a bit overpriced in my opinion. Still, the Unertl "Small game Scope" is one hell of a good piece of equipment and is misnomered. It will work on any centerfire sporting rifle.

In modern made, "vintage" there are Dan Zimmerman's scopes with Unertl/Fecker style mounts. They are available in 8x and 10X and probably others.

Finally, but not least by a long shot, Montana Vintage Arms scopes are top drawer as well. I use their Winchester B5 (5x) as my competition scope, and it would look good on an old Mauser, as would the other non-Malcomb style MVA scopes. However, those scopes are not on their website. https://montanavintagearms.com/scopes/

Lots of other options too. But these are the most common, easiest found, and probably best.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Since the Lyman 25X LWBR uses 1" rings and not the Unertl system, I would sugest the Weaver K-8.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weaver-K8-60-B-with-Adjustable-Objective-Lens-Clean-Made-in-El-Paso-TX/224281869799?hash=item34383dbde7:g:MZEAAOSw3ZFf2sJK

Buy it now $195.00

Last edited by skeettx; 12/28/20 12:38 AM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent pretty well covered the bases. I'm partial to the Unertl's of the era, as well as the Targetspots. Two of my Unertl's at the moment, a 6x 1 1/4" objective and 10x 1 1/2" objective would fill the bill nicely for your needs, I think. (Not for sale by the way.) Though Unertl's are pricey these days I feel they represent fair value for the money they command. A bit of astute shopping can usually beat the commonly held pricing found for low-medium power Unertl's, but it might take time.

I recently fell into a Fecker Small Game scope, 6x (I think, it's not marked), and a Lyman 5A. Both are good fits on hunting rifles, but in my opinion a bit lacking in brightness due to their straight tubed objective lenses. (If that's correct terminology.) Still and all I like them muchly on the couple of rifles they found homes on - an original NRA Sporter (Lyman) and a Low Wall .22 rimfire (Fecker)- and wouldn't hesitate to employ them on more "serious" rifles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Addendum: I have a Lyman Junior Targetspot 8x on my Winchester 54 .22 K-Hornet and have never felt handicapped when using it at "normal" Hornet distances, say 200-250 yards max (max for me).

One must realize that such "period correct" scopes will never display the optical quality of even current low end scopes, but they're darned good nonetheless and quite capable of returning very usable performance.

Optical quality notwithstanding, the target scopes of the 30's-70's with their external adjustments are foolproof in their simplicity of adjustment, or I should say basic repeatability/accuracy of adjustment- something not enjoyed by most of the aforementioned low-medium end internal adjustment scopes of today. (Foolproof in simplicity but still demanding of the user to use his noggin.)

Last edited by Gary D.; 12/28/20 12:49 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Unertl Vulture 8X or 10X would be my choice. They come with either internal or external adjustments. I prefer the external.

They also have parallex adjustment.

Last edited by xausa; 12/28/20 02:49 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been using a short length Malcolm 6x straight tube scope on my Krag lately.

The glass is precisely made, multi-coated etc.
Very clear.

They also do an 8x with the larger objective lens for more power, parallax adjustment, and changeable reticles if you like.

Mounts are very precise and repeatable.

Here it is, shooting at 650 yards the other day.

This setup is only $450 with the mounts.

Their 8x goes for $575 with different (even nicer) mounts.
This image is from a Gun Digest article

I haven't used one of their 8x scopes yet, but I am looking at giving it a try.

Last edited by Tinker; 12/28/20 07:53 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the wealth of information so quickly. I'd be partial to a Unertl, based on my experience with their sporting scopes. I have had one of them, in 20X, for probably 30 years. But, I understand the problem with availability. Unertl scopes seemed always hard to get, even new.

I like the looks and the pricing of the Malcolms but I'm hesitant about hauling one around in the farm truck, looking for crows. That's really about the only usage it would see. I don't do much paper punching anymore.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan that photo of my Krag was on my ranch.
It's a daily user.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So, the external adjustment mounts are tougher than they appear? I assume so, if they held up in the jungles of 'Nam, and other places where scout/snipers would likely subject them to rough duty.

Admittedly, I'm severely ignorant about external mounts for scopes. I understand how they work, but that's about it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.