March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gankai, Pat Gidley, Gerry Addison, Jtplumb), 791 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,012
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 21 22
#588260 12/27/20 03:32 PM
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The topic at the breakfast table this morning was "where do we go now?". When the children are raised and/or are in college, your careers are winding down, and your adoptive state is changing in ways that are not attractive to you...where do you go. If you are deeply rooted, with an unbroken line of family and property to hold you, then the answer is fairly obvious. But...if you've already made that leap once in your life as a younger person, it is much easier to do it again later. If you hunt and fish and your values are clearly traditional...where do you go, where is that "last stand" made? The middle part of America still embraces the values most comfortable to the hunter/gatherer types, with small towns and cities aplenty. The advent of the internet has also changed the equation dramatically these days, arguably diminishing or even eliminating the isolating nature of lots of the more-backwoods locations. Also, as one ages the specter of medical and other needs does tend to rise...so the proximity of civilization does still hold a beacon. Can you still be within striking distance of a sizable city and yet have a deeper connection to a form of wilderness? Alaska springs to mind almost immediately, are there others? Idaho? Wyoming? the Dakotas? Where does one start? The coasts are beautiful in so-many ways and yet.. they are now so-crowded and many (almost all?) embrace values that are anathema to more-traditionally minded folks. Our world is clearly changing, how does one proactively respond?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/27/20 03:38 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My cousin moved from Rock Springs WY to Saskatoon. Loves it. I'm in So Cal, looking at AZ and rural NV.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Dad came back to his birth state a refugee of the politics of the East Coast. It was good for about 30 years, but, he remarked before his passing that if he wasnt so old it was time to move, again. The burned and looted south end of Minneapolis, stands, and will stand, for decades, in mute testimony to the failed progressive agenda that has driven the state in recent decades, with the further reward of the loss of a congressional seat or two due to the aging population having had enough of the antics, and fleeing. Youve driven enough of the roads here to grasp the mismanagement of the peoples hard earned money.

As have I. I have just a few more years.

Sioux Falls, Rapid City, and Springfield, MO are on the radar.

Minnesota, aint.

I wish you all the luck in your choice. No doubt, we will be comparing notes, sooner, rather then later.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am looking at the same thing. Due to some health limitations we can't be too hot. We'd prefer somewhere a little lower humidity, we are in S Mich.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

The states you mention, Lloyd, are the normal first thoughts (and each has their unique advantages) but Id partially echo Ted. Missouri is not to be over looked. Ive lived and hunted and fished all over the state including 5 years in Springfield. Fine people. Conservative values. Wonderful water and woods. Strong 2A supporters despite St. Louis influence. Id be retired there now except that all the kids and grandkids are settled in CO and ID. Theres no one perfect place left, though, IMHO.

Speude Bradeos
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Been rural for 54 years, so can't judge, but I would start with any farmstead or city of less than 50,000 at least 50 miles from any metro with over a quarter million residents before applying other criteria.

Last edited by Hal; 12/27/20 10:02 PM. Reason: was not finished
Sidelock
Sidelock

I grew up in ID, moved to AK and lived there for about 18 years and then relocated back to ID. I lived off the road system for much of my time in AK and enjoyed it very much, mainly due to the hunting and fishing. I realized early on that if one wants to enjoy what AK has to offer, particularly in the bush, I would need a variety of "toys." Over the course of time, I accumulated a couple of boats, a couple of sno-go's and a plane. It didn't matter much what ones political leanings were, most folks had the "live and let live attitude." I lived there when I was in my 20's into my early 40's.

As the kids became school age, my wife and I realized that the area we lived would not be optimum for the kids concerning their education, social development and extra curricular activities, so we moved to Anchorage. I liked Anchorage as well, but being somewhat isolated from all close relatives, we decided to move back (for me) to Idaho. The kids were born in AK and my wife, elsewhere. We moved, initially to my fairly small home town, which seems like a town that "time forgot!"

I've discussed with a good friend who also lived and taught in AK for a number of years, if, at our age, we could handle the adventure that was AK! Our conclusion is, probably not, at least not the bush!

The area we now live in ID has grown substantially, but still holds to the traditional values I grew up with. I travel to my small home town regularly to visit my mom and help with the upkeep of the place...it's still a small logging community with all of the outdoor opportunities I enjoy and it still holds to the values it had when I was growing up. There are many small communities in ID that remain as they were, for the most part, 30-40 years ago!

As was mentioned, there's not one perfect place. but if my wife would be amenable to it (she's coming around), I would move the 55-60 miles to the town of my youth to make my "last stand" hunting, fishing and tending to our property that we manage for timber production. And yes, I could live the "form of wilderness" lifestyle and be fairly close to first rate medical facilities.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Russia would be happy have you Lloyd. And besides, they owe you one, you did a lot of heavy lifting for their agenda.

Here is some info for you to help you get on your journey:
https://fpc.org.uk/russias-traditional-values-leadership/

Take care and Godspeed comrade!

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

And, we get yet another reminder of the type of person that is supposed to be tolerated while they wreck blue states.

A consideration could be a college bound child, and if in-state institutions and tuition is desireable? Don't rule out cost of living and taxes. States like nca cheers for may have pockets of honest, genuine right leaning residents, but you'll have to think about nca's lies when you write the check for taxes that serve him, not you and your family.

Maybe, the answer is a modest part time place, situated on the edge of public land that does not have access roads in the area, or allow motorized vehicle access? Maybe, don't overly commit to a big move as your son may not be quite ready to leave the nest just because he starts college, and you and your wife may see benefit in being close to where he settle when he's all grown up?

Mostly, just keep the the knowledge that there is no common ground when dealing with an nca, either as a neighbor or in the state or local government of HIS stand.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My wife and I have been discussing this subject for some time. I retired last year. Our kids are grown, have jobs and families of their own. Basically it is just the wife and I. We have seven grand-kids and we both do not want to be far from them. I grew up in Upstate New York. Going back there is not an option. Wife is from Northern England.

Virginia has really gone down and is headed into a deeper slide into lunatic left land I fear. When we moved here over 20 years ago our area was still fairly rural. It has exploded in growth with no end in sight. The traffic, sprawl, growth, and crime that comes with it has led to us looking elsewhere. We lived in Maine for a number of years and I would love to go back. A little too far from the family though. Another option is staying in Virginia but moving to one of the more rural, Republican strong-hold counties like Highland. Sadly, the State government is led by increasingly intrusive out of State left-wingers and I don't see it changing.

I am very torn right now. I have always considered myself an optimist, and as a student of history I know that as a country we have weathered worse. I'm not sure anymore. As to a "last stand," I think our last stand should be beating down the left so that they are no longer a threat for at least a generation or two. They are not simply an opposing view anymore. They are a threat to our freedom and liberty.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.