March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 295 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Vol423 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just found this rifle on Gunbroker. It may be of interest to you folks who shoot from the right shoulder.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/876952680

Sidelock
Sidelock

What am I missing? Where's the takedown happen?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have several Newtons, mostly Model 1916, but with one Model 1922, made in Germany by J.P. Sauer on an Oberndorf Mauser action, with a unique Newton set trigger. All of the 1916's are "take down".
I have never owned a Model 1924, I guess because I couldn't stomach the dog leg bolt handle.

Since the 1924's share the same type of bottom metal as the 1916's, I assume that the "take down" feature consists of using the hinged floor plate as a handle to release the front of the action. The rear of the action is secured with a hook type arrangement, similar to that of an M1 carbine, so that the barreled action separates from the stock without the use of a tool. It is an ingenious system and superior to those which require the barrel to be separated from the action, IMHO.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't know a Newron Rifle from a fig newton cookie- but what is the front trigger facing bass-ackwards for--?? Goofy indeed. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

TD is the same on the 1924 model as the 1916.

The Model 1924's are marked 'Buffalo Newton Rifle Co.'
But they were never made in Buffalo NY as were the original US production.

These Mod 1924 were a redesigned rifle made in New Haven CT well after the orig Newton Company went under in 1918 and then tried to resurface couple of more times shortly thereafter.
A few Newtons were orig made on imported Mausers before the first USA built rifles were ever made. Then again some more Mauser 'Newtons' were imported after WW1 (the Model 1922 as xausa has).

The Model 1924 is considered the least desirerable of the Newtons as far as quality of fit, finish, design, But I think they only put about 1K of them together.
That bolt handle design really turns people away!
..and case in point..Production Rarity doesn't always mean valuable!

The Orig 1916 USA built Newton has standard forward facing DST'grs.
But inside they are powered by very sturdy torsion coil springs.

The TD screw being the front action screw & attached to the floor plate makes for easy take down.
The recoil lug on the action where the screw engages has a simple screw adjustment on the side of the threaded boss to allow for take up adj. The TD can be kept just as tight and snug as you like with the simple arrangement.
Something you might have expected to see on a Lefever design

The bbl & frame on the original 1916 Model are threaded the same as the US 1903 Springfield rifle. Same coned breech and extractor cut.

It was not uncommon to have a 1916 Newton rebbl'd w/a surplus '03 bbl if the .256Newton bbl or other 'odd caliber Newton' was shot out.
Newton also offered the rifle in 30-06 from the factory.

Some orig Newtons have 2 extractor cuts in the breech face of the bbl. Should only be one at 3 oclock ('03 Springfield breech).
Either the bbl was fit up and clocked past the machined cut at assembly and they had to go another 1/2 turn and then cut the second extractor cut,,,
Or perhaps proofing left the rifle with excessive headspace and turning the bbl in another 1/2 turn and rechambering again to spec headspace to save the bbl was a thing they did.

The bbl address, cal marking ect have been on the top position proper on the couple I have seen like this. But one shows a plugged hole/screw hole on the now bottom side where a rear sight would have been. That rifle now sports a bolt peep. Hard to detect any other scrubbed markings from the now bottom of the bbl.
Both were 256Newton rifles.

Just what I've observed,,probably it means nothing but thought it interesting. They didn't make all that many rifles in the 1916 Model somewhere betw 3 and 4K most have said.
I wasn't there...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Model 1924 in .30-06, with ratchet rifling. I really like the DST, but that is pretty close to the end of the story. I don't think I'd shoot mine with even a standard hunting load, but it seems to shoot OK at .30-30 velocities. Magazine is useless. With cartridges in the magazine, the first shot dumps the rest on your shoes. Bolt handle is infuriating. Why not just use a 1917 Enfield?

Boxlock
Boxlock

The first models of rifles that Newton put out were in 1914 when he tried to import various models of Mauser rifles and either rechamber them in 256 Newton or one model of Haenel rifle which he rebarreled in 256 Newton using barrels made for him by Marlin.He put in 3 orders of 24 rifles each but only one order was received and the rest canceled due to WWI. The model 1916 was first made under Newton's supervision for 16 months and about 2800 rifles were put out initially. A Receiver took over and offerd about 1250 rifles followed by Newton Arms Corp with 950 rifles and finally Kirtland Hardware with about 250 rifles finally sold off. This adds up to more than 4000 because some rifles were passed from one entity to another if not sold. The highest serial is in the low 4000 range. About 100 rifles were imported in 1922. Mauser actions and put together by Sauer. These were the FINEST rifles ever to carry the Newton name. About 1000 model 1924s were produced.

LSW
Boxlock
Boxlock

A couple more odd variations are the Newton Springfield. Newton offered the Marlin made barrels to be installed on Springfield actions and with a Newton styled stock. These were offered in 1914. Total made is unknown. The major investor in the 1924, Meeker, left the factory with parts for 200 rifles and made the Meeker rifle. Most in the 500 to.600 serial range. Again total made is unknown. He marked the same number as to caliber as Newton but put Meeker on the barrel rather than Newton.

LSW
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Don't know a Newron Rifle from a fig newton cookie- but what is the front trigger facing bass-ackwards for--?? Goofy indeed. RWTF

Double set trigger.

Sidelock
Sidelock

40NT,
Tell us more about the Haenel 256 Newton. Did he rebarrel multiple Haenel rifles of one model( Mod 09?); or did he only rebarrel one Haenel rifle? A Haenel Mod 09 would make up into a nice .256 Newton.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 12/26/20 01:02 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.