March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (PALUNC, Karl Graebner, Jtplumb, Caravaggio), 300 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

NEED HELP - proof marks on a French 16x16 Cape Gun

Hello All,

I watched this one advertised for nearly 2 years. I finally decided to bring it to Wisconsin.

This is the fifth Cape Gun in my collection.

This one looks to be very high quality. The unique sling feature is cool.
A spring wind-up stores it in the stock.

I have no clue what all the marks mean, but I'm sure there is a lot of information there.
I have shown all the markings on the gun. I could find no others.

Can anyone help with the interpretation please?

And, your comments are always welcome.

HERE IS THE ORIGINAL ADVERTISEMENT

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Well there are others here who are better at French proofs but I will tell you that there were approx 950,000 MF Robusts made between 1912 and 1985.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Well there are others here who are better at French proofs but I will tell you that there were approx 950,000 MF Robusts made between 1912 and 1985.

Hello canvasback,
Thanks for the reply.

Any idea how many were Cape Guns? Any idea what year this one was made?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll have a go...will have to do some research on the proof marks with an arrow. I don't think I've ever seen that on a Saint Etienne gun....strange.

It's a ManuFrance Robust. Model 32-E-S. Below is a chart which details when the various Robust models were made from this line: https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=484199&page=11

If I read the chart right, that model was made in 1930 and 1931.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Here is the definition of the various bits of stamps on the gun:
MF in laurels/ Saint Etienne logo - Manufrance
Crossed canons with arrow logo - Manufrance
PT - proofed for smokeless powder (first appeared in 1900)
Cal 16 normal - 16 gauge (normal may refer to the chambers which would be 65mm, since chambering is not marked on this barrel).
Choke - choked
Raye - rifled (there were also shotgun barrels which had groves assisting the spread of the shot that used "raye.")
Interieur poli en long - groupement garanti: Interior of the barrel polished for its entire length -shot grouping guaranteed.
Epreuve du fusil fini - finished gun proofed at 1100 Kilos
Fusil Robust Brevet S.G.D.G. - Robust long-gun patented
Fabriqant Mecanique - means nothing - mechanical fabrication
Canon Frette - monobloc barrel
Acier Hercule - advertisement - Hercules steel - means nothing

I don't see a chamber stamp....this should be 65mm (2 1/2") (i.e. "normal")
I have been told that the top safety on Robusts did not appear until 1930, which would match with this model having been made 1930 and 31 only.
Also there is a chance that a physical date the gun were made is under the butt plate stamped into the wood.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

It's just a guess but I would suggest a very small number were cape guns. The Robust was MF's go-to base gun. Under 100,000 of all grades of Ideals made.....10 times more Robusts. And the Ideal had a 23 year head start. You can also get an idea of how big these volumes are when you compare them to American SxS production.

It's clearly a higher grade version of the Robust. The vast majority have little to no engraving. I have seen DAP tables as well as model grids (MF model labelling can be quite confusing as they changed it all the time) but I haven't saved them. Someone else here may have access to them.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

LOL I was hoping Gene would show up!

Edit to add: Gene, I have seen those arrows before. Don't know their meaning but I think it's a MF stamp.

Last edited by canvasback; 12/19/20 11:59 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

https://www.shotguns.se/html/france.html

RAYE (rifled tube) is not often seen smile
And that in Belgium marks

http://www.shotguns.se/html/belgium.html

Last edited by skeettx; 12/19/20 11:45 AM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting that is appears to be the H. Pieper Ptd. April 23, 1881 Diana monobloc
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24563589

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Drew, all Robusts were built with the monobloc style barrel assembly method.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello canvasback, & Drew Hause,
Thanks for your replys.

Originally Posted By: skeettx
....RAYE (rifled tube) is not often seen smile

Originally Posted By: Argo44
".......Raye - rifled (there were also shotgun barrels which had groves assisting the spread of the shot that used "raye......."

Hello skeettx & Argo44,
Thanks for the replys.

Is there any way to tell if the rifled barrel on this gun was intended as a "Cape Gun" or just a shotgun with a "Spreader" tube?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.