March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jtplumb, Marc Ret), 575 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,339
Posts543,405
Members14,386
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Little Creek: Thank you. I had wondered about the Marlin 90s. If it were up to me, then maybe. But....daddy-o here is a millennial and he sees the old stuff in a very different light. Oh well. I have to wonder if he has some designs on the gun himself as well(?). Can't hate him for that I guess. Some very good options have been identified here, Citori, Miroku, the Charles Daily guns, the Veronas, etc. I have forwarded it all on to him.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/17/20 12:50 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I started my older grandson on a youth 870 .20 pump as he grew I bought him an 870 12 ga. and later when he started duck hunting with his buddies I bought him SBE now he thinks he's an x'spurt shot.

I still have both trainer guns. My youngest 8 will start on the same 870 youth 20 ga. pump and then the same 870 12 ga...

Do they ever get to hunt with your olindeskas Joe ? those guns named after that Japanese town you mentioned earlier, then deleted.. They cant help but escalate in price due to their rarity so perhaps best to keep them locked in the cabinet for safe keeping.
I think your advice is sound on the 870 but think the model 37 featherlight in 20 bore would be a better option for a young lad if a pump action was favoured.

A straight hand stocked beretta 20 with a light load would be a good option if part sharing with Dad was on the cards.

Last edited by Konor3inch; 12/17/20 01:07 PM. Reason: Add featherlight in 20 bore
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those two Marlin's look like winners to me.

As a person who started on a singleshot 20 and then graduated to a pump 12, I think pump guns for young kids are a mistake, especially in 12 gauge. Short butstocks are nice, but not sufficient. The whole action/balance is wrong and only gets worse with a short stock. They are heavy and require the long reach to operate them.

Any sort of double is much better with the geometry, and the balance can be, at least, not as bad as a loaded pump gun.

Ditto this for women shooters. I often seem them shooting "youth" 870s and similar. None of them shoot them well. But those few that have half decently fitted doubles of any kind, always shoot better.

Just my observations.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

The first Marlin has quite a crack in the head of the stock.
I think a short barrelled over and under is the way to go especially if Dad shares and adds a little more to the pot.
I started with an AYA Cosmos single 12 with 30 inch barrel full choke and a .410 adapter. Probably the wrong gun for numerous reasons but I have many fond memories of it as it was my only gun until I scraped together enough cash for a double barrel at 17 years of age. Singles were a lot more common in the field for rough shooting back then. My first shots using it as a 12 bore were with Eley 2inch cartridges, 7/8 oz shot. I put a few Winchester XX 1 7/8 oz through it too at geese.

Last edited by Konor3inch; 12/17/20 01:19 PM. Reason: Addition
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Konor3inch
...Do they ever get to hunt with your olindeskas Joe ? those guns named after that Japanese town you mentioned earlier, then deleted.
They cant help but escalate in price due to their rarity so perhaps best to keep them locked in the cabinet for safe keeping...

Ho Ho Ho laugh

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: CluelessjOe
Who made the Verona cOrona you were hyping earlier...sounds like a dang type writer.

Rizzini. Ever heard of the Rizzini family? They're Italian gunmakers. As in Fabricca Armi Isidoro Rizzini (FAIR).

Verona is simply a model in their line of guns. Kinda like 101 is a gun model made by Winchester.

Get it now?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan: That Verona looks an awful lot like an early Rizzini Aurum (yet another option) assuming you could find one. There were even off-brand Rizzinis made for LL Bean (and others) that were great buys as well that used to come through the shop. There were also the Rizzini cousins, the Guerinis, that used to be fairly reasonable. Again, finding one is the challenge. That Verona would likely be the best solution here but sadly, nobody's listening.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/17/20 05:05 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd, the Aurum is a B. Rizzini gun. B. Rizzini is Isidoro Rizzinis brother, Batista. Together, and in conjunction with brother Emilio, and others, they comprise F.A.I.R., Fausti, B. Rizzini, F.lli. Rizzini, Ferlib and Caesar Guerini......... a veritable gunmaking dynasty of the Val Trompia region.

The Aurum would certainly be another great choice.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Lloyd, the Aurum is a B. Rizzini gun. B. Rizzini is Isidoro Rizzinis brother, Batista. Together, and in conjunction with brother Emilio, and others, they comprise F.A.I.R., Fausti, B. Rizzini, F.lli. Rizzini, Ferlib and Caesar Guerini......... a veritable gunmaking dynasty of the Val Trompia region.

The Aurum would certainly be another great choice.

SRH

In addition to the 3 FAIR made guns I own I also have 2 B. Rizzini target guns. I recall well when Batista sued his brother Isidoro for the rights to the name Rizzini in the US. Which is why Rizzini now means B. Rizzini here and I. Rizzini is usually referred to as FAIR.

My youngest son that started out with a Miroku Daly 20 then a Verona shot my B. Rizzini one day and said how can you miss with this gun? And he didn't miss often. At the age of 14 but close to 15 he was the Mn. ATA Class runner up with a 193x200 using it. Figured I wasn't going to ever get it back from him so bought another for myself. We all tried to tell him it wasn't a trap gun but he refused to listen. And showed us otherwise. Personally I would rather shoot any other venue than trap except for wobble trap.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bob Cash the gun cOunterfitter
Originally Posted By: Konor3inch
...Do they ever get to hunt with your olindeskas Joe ? those guns named after that Japanese town you mentioned earlier, then deleted.
They cant help but escalate in price due to their rarity so perhaps best to keep them locked in the cabinet for safe keeping...

Ho Ho Ho laugh

Whatz up Bobby...

Last edited by HomelessjOe; 12/17/20 08:30 PM. Reason: You ever notice how Stans little tricks bite him in the arse
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.