March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Travis S), 251 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, it's very possible under $700. The Miroku Dalys are a good place to start. But in general, if you're willing to go with a gun that has fixed chokes, there's a significant price difference on the older versions that don't have choke tubes. Ithaca SKB is another one. Older Beretta or Franchi. Valmet. Possibly an early fixed choke Citori.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is probably a long shot but the later Olin Kodensha (Winchester 101)Classic Doubles shotguns dont sell at a premium here in the UK as they do in the US . Would it be a viable proposition to import one from the UK, eg there is a 201 20 bore at 895 on guntrader that has been there a few months. Would buying, importing and perhaps selling such a gun finance a better starter gun for your nephew?

Last edited by Konor3inch; 12/16/20 08:54 AM. Reason: Addition
Sidelock
Sidelock

I dont think there is a later Olin Kodensha 101...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I dont think there is a later Olindeska 101...

I was referring to the Classic Doubles shotguns built on the same machinery and in the same factory as the Winchester 101 line of shotguns after the Classic Doubles company bought over the factory when Winchester ceased the manufacture of their shotguns there. I dont think there is such a shotgun as an Olindeska shotgun.
I think CVC then bought the prduction machinery from Classic Doubles and imported it to the US

Last edited by Konor3inch; 12/16/20 09:10 AM. Reason: Addition
Sidelock
Sidelock

SKB

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
I bought my younger son a Miroku Daly 20 as his starter gun a long time ago. Nice gun, but they were much cheaper then. For a budget starter 20 these days, I would recommend a Yildiz from Academy. A friend bought a pair for his boys and they have turned out to be excellent guns for the money.

My youngest sons first shotgun was also a Miroku Daly 20 choked Sk and Sk. His grandfather had it reblued before he gave it to him.

Being fixed choke good for skeet and grouse but falls short for sporting clays and other venues and bird options. And it really doesn't fit him well. Bottom line is if the gun doesn't fit you it doesn't matter how cheap it is. I wouldn't hesitate to look at those Yildiz guns if there was an Academy Sports around.

The BL4/3 series in 20 ga. are in high demand by hunters so prices have gone up last few years. And there is the fixed choke thing to deal with although there is something to be said for fixed chokes IMO. For one it gives you an excuse to buy yet another gun.

Originally Posted By: Stan
This isn't quite as low as you specified, but who knows what they'll take? Make an offer? Even at $999 it's a lot of gun.

I've been shooting a Verona LX 692 28/.410 for about ten years. I have nothing but praise for it. Veronas are the most undervalued, overlooked O/U on the market, IMO.

If there's any concern about repairs there is a dealer/gunsmith in NV for FAIR, trained by the Rizzinis in Italy, named Bazil Slaughter. He ordered my FAIR Iside Tartaruga Gold .410 for me. Great guy, and a straight shooter.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101559238

This is mine............

SRH

My youngest son first new gun was a Verona in 12 ga. FAIR makes a heck of a gun IME and the Verona line is a real sleeper. With interchangeable choke tubes.

FAIR's first introduction into the US was with NEA and I have a 16 ga. with both 28" for hunting and 30" bbl. for clays. It has tens of thousands of rounds over the years through it without a hiccup.

Italian Firearms Group is the importer for FAIR now and places like Lion Country Supply can order one for you including custom orders. I finally picked up a FAIR Iside in 16 ga. last year and wish I would had done so sooner.

The fit and finish on my FAIR guns are close to my B. Rizzini & Berretta target guns. And unlike Browning's and Winchester shotguns they fit me and work well. For me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Konor3inch

I was referring to the Classic Doubles shotguns built on the same machinery and in the same factory as the Winchester 101 line of shotguns after the Classic Doubles company bought over the factory when Winchester ceased the manufacture of their shotguns there. I dont think there is such a shotgun as an Olindeska shotgun.
I think CVC then bought the prduction machinery from Classic Doubles and imported it to the US

The two mid 1960 101's I own are clearly marked on the bottom of the receivers "Olin Kodensha".

I believe Olin Kodensha was the name of the factory....I heard Winchester production stopped there when the factory was torn down.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Olin was an employee of Winchester . Kodensha was the name of the company that produced the then Winchester line of shotguns 101 ,23 and the Parker reproduction. Classic Doubles made the 101 line under their name after Winchester production ceased.
Both my CD 101s were made around 1990. A game grade 2 and a 20 bore skeet gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Konor3inch

The two mid 1960 101's I own are clearly marked on the bottom of the receivers "Olin Kodensha".

I believe Olin Kodensha was the name of the factory....I heard Winchester production stopped there when the factory was torn down.

Not marked Olindeska as first thought ? I see you have altered your Olindeska to Olin Kodensha in your posts.

Last edited by Konor3inch; 12/16/20 10:00 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Editing your mistakes, without it showing it was edited, is a cool feature, eh Frank? Amazing how the "Olindeska" just went away.

Well played, Konor.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.