March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (bushveld, docbill, Dave Weber, cable, 2 invisible), 339 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If an individual buys a gun from a dealer or auction house, pays for it in full and the gun is shipped to that individual, who is out the value of the gun if it is lost or damaged? Does the "individual" own the gun once it it shipped or is the seller responsible for getting the gun to the buyer in good condition? If the gun never makes it to the buyer, should the seller be responsible for making the buyer whole? I know what I think, but what do the legal minds think? We know that the big dealers and auction houses are self insured and that any insurance add ons go into their pockets, but who is really responsible if a gun is lost or damaged?

Sidelock
Sidelock

What are the shipping terms?

If shipping is included it's their responsibility to insure it and make sure you get it safely.

If, as is usually the case, the dealer states shipping is extra, you pay for it and insure it, you just have to make sure they insure it at your request. If I send a gun out for work I always state I want it returned insured for replacement value, at my cost.

It's usually a good idea to name yourself as the beneficiary so you can deal with the shipper. The dealer may not pursue it if it's not to their benefit.

All this goes to hell if the dealer doesn't pack it properly.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

It comes down to who who owns the gun. Payment alone is not legal transfer of ownership. The seller may purchase insurance, on your behalf, but you still do not own the gun until you get a FFL form filled out and approved. Antiques are different.

I have had two guns with damage in shipment, more that showed up late but that is another shipping problem. In each case the carrier required the shipper to file the claim. Since I had not yet filled out the FFL form and had in fact refused to fill out the FFL form, to accept legal possession of the gun, it was still property of the seller. If you can not get approval on the FFL form you can not become the owner of the gun. I refused to even start the paper work because it was damaged in shipment. Both boxes had been beat to heck in shipment. Both claims were denied right off the start but ended up being paid in the end. I think it is a common thing to deny them and hope you give up. Both claims were paid to the seller not to me. I got a refund in the end but not from the insurance but from the seller.

Other sellers may try to make you deal with everything but I expect safe delivery, in condition as stated in the sale of the item. That has been my experience so far and I hope it never happens again. Some local laws may be different I am sure. I think that is why so many dealer refuse to deal with California sales thinking that the regulations there make safe sales a bigger headache.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Im not an attorney but I would think the responsible party is the shipper. If I bought a watch off of Amazon or a refrigerator from Lowes and it was never delivered or was damaged in shipping I sure would not think it was my responsibility. Its theirs.
I am not sure why a gun would be any different.
That said I carry a gun insurance policy that gives me piece of mind when shipping guns or receiving them back from repair.
Like insuring a car and you get in an accident. Let the insurance companies from both partys fight it out.
When I ship out a gun I have sold I dont buy additional insurance. The gun is mine and covered until the buyer excepts the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ghostrider, is that a separate policy or a rider on your gun insurance?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

It depends. If is considered fob shipping point, then once it is turned over to the freight company, title is considered passing to you and any loss is your. If considered fob destination, then the shipper is responsible until it is handed off to you.

JOhn Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr Boyd is correct.
I carry a large gun insurance policy through Eastern Arms. I am not a dealer but actively collect and trade some firearms The guns I have sold have the cost of freight and insurance included in the asking price of the firearm. Further it comes with a 3 day inspection period. My understanding the gun is owned by me until it is accepted by the buyer.
The buyer could decide after the firearm is received to decline the purchase and not take possession. In which case it is returned and the firearm continues to be covered and owned by me.
Now if I buy a firearm from you and you offer me an opportunity to purchase insurance against shipping damage and or loss, and I decline then you are off the hook and I am fully responsible. At this point my Eastern Insurance policy kicks in and I am covered.
Also not part of Eightbores question but some additional information concerning shipping guns out for repair.
I never purchase additional coverage through the carrier. Nor do I have the gunsmith add insurance on the returning firearm as I own the firearm and it is covered for damage, loss, or theft through my Eastern Insurance policy minus my $250 deductible.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.