March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Marc Ret, coosa, HalfaDouble, Gunning Bird, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 404 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I bought this about 25 years ago at a garage sale for 45 bucks. It was pretty rusty the hammer in the firing pins were frozen solid. When I first got it I took the receiver apart and sanded and polished all the rust off and got the hammer mechanisms moving and working for you along with the firing pins. It was missing a hammer and looks like it was well used and banged around. I looked for original looking matching replacement hammers for decades and gave up. I have a body I grew up with thats a gunsmith I sent it home with him two years ago and he just brought it back last week when he came down to hunt. I bought a pair of hammers from Dixie gun works and he installed them for me. I think the hammers were 63 bucks at the time and he does my work for free. When he brought it back we went to the range with the RST number 5 shells I bought for turkey hunting to try. It shot great! I have since made a fake Parkerizing patina look on the receiver so it doesnt look knew compared to the rest of the gun. The only markings I can find on it are 396 on the barrel and receiver, 65 on the right side barrel, FB on the barrel land receiver lug. Also 96 on a few small parts. From what Ive read on old posts here Charles Daly started importing shotguns in 1875 to the United States? ...and then I read that even though they imported them in 1875 the shotguns could even be older for some reason? I would assume my shotgun is a base model? I also read here that the guns were approx a 100 a year into the US? Id so does that make mine a 1878? West model is it?

Thanks for any info.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Could you pleasure us with a few images of the sides of the frame & the barrel flats?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Hello Tripplebeards
and welcome on your first posting.

Any addresses on the barrel rib?

Any of the following marks on the flats of the barrels?

http://www.shotguns.se/html/uk.html

PLEASE post a photo of the Charles Daly marking smile

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 12/12/20 12:21 AM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

>>.....And here's what I guess: Daly was sourcing components or parts kits from W&C Scott of Birmingham until late 1870 or 1871 when he established his "factory" in Suhl, which was just having Georg Lindner to subcontract the work using components sourced from W&C Scott. Prior to that he may have been having the work performed by American craftsmen like Golcher & Overbaugh but the marks on those pre-1870/1871, or lack thereof, may answer the question of effort sourcing. Or, he may have been having William & Charles Scott manufacture his wares. Joe Wood may have a Daly Gun that is the missing link......<<

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubb...true#Post236261
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=147174&page=all

So the subject longarm could date to the mid 1870s, but it depends whether it was made from leftover William & Charles Scott components.

I did notice that on the W&C Scott - Lindner - Charles Daly of which I am a custodian that it wears the Sauer >>Imperial Eagle<< process mark on the flats.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

This might help
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/20948056

If you could post a full size close up of the barrel where the contrast is most apparent (possibly under the FE), I'll read the damascus pattern for you.

Is it a 12 or 10 gauge? What Turkey loads are you using? Did your gunsmith friend measure the chamber length and wall thickness?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I own an early Charles Daly whose components were sourced from Scott and assembled in Prussia (best guess). I would imagine the barrels were finished and actioned to the receiver in the Scott factory. Also the bar action locks were probably fitted to the action in England. Has Scott serial numbers all over it, 15,251. Oddest thing about it (to me) is the barrel ribs are brazed, not soldered. Do post some photos and we will all try to help.

Last edited by Joe Wood; 12/12/20 02:23 PM.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry double posted apparently. Ellenbr posted the link above with a bunch of photos. There is a BR stamped on it but no crown or anything fancy around or next to it.

With the non original hammers...

Its a 2 7/8 10 gauge. Im using RST lite 1 1/4 oz smokeless shotgun ammo... black powder equivalent lead shot loads. It was inspected for safety from my smith before him and myself fired it.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12/14/20 10:46 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just from the images it looks to be an >>ER<< or >>EB<<. This example would have been sourced thru Georg Lindner before H.A. Lindner hung out his gunmaking shingle in 1874. And it look to be an inland Suhl, Germany example & not from components from W&C Scott.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I noticed only 2 pins in the receiver before the hammer where most I see most have three or 4 in the same place. I read on an old post somewhere on this forum that approx a 100 were imported per year? If so Im guessing this gun was made in 1878? But if it was made by George it would have to made earlier than 1878?

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12/14/20 10:55 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.