March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 309 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tinker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a rifle here, outfitted with a Pacific banded front sight.
I thought that I had some Pacific Gun Sight catalogs here, but I'm just not finding them, although I found a PDF online of a catalog from the early 40's
The banded front sight ramp shown there in that catalog is set up to take their hood, and the "PACIFIC" stamping is shown in vertical orientation, like a barber shop pole sign. This sight here doesn't have the cuts/grooves for the sight hood, and the "PACIFIC" stamping is in the horizontal orientation.

Is this an earlier version? If so can anyone help place a vintage?
For further reference, this rifle is set up with a 1911 patent date Lyman-48 (first version?) sight with the low profile 1/2 MOA click elevation knob, and a "125 and two grads" scale rear sight.

Thanks

Tinker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Maybe a photo will help

It's a little dirty, but hopefully this will do.

Tinker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here's the rifle

Tinker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Tinker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Judging from the fastener used at the grip cap, I don't think that the white line spacer is original to the rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pacific Gun Sight Co was started in 1928 by Robert Miller and Walter Sutton in San Francisco. Looks like you have 2nd type lyman 48 125 marked slide 1919 to 1947

Tinker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for your input.
I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

The patent date is July 11, 1911
Lyman didn't update the patent for the subsequent variations?

Also - the elevation dial is graduated in 1/2 grads, not quarters or thirds. The elevation knob counts five MOA, and it's detent is via plunger and spring, not spring steel washer. The windage scale is on the rear of the slide not the front.

Do you have any of the early Pacific catalogs?
When did Pacific start to offer the sight hood (and appropriate mounting provision for it) for the banded front sight ramp?

Again, thanks for your comments.

Sidelock
Sidelock

you don't need to update the patent if the mechanical operation is same just range variation etc

https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=226142&page=1

You have the 125 slide, Not there earlier "long slide" 150 "1st" type

To my understanding atleast.

Tinker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.D.Steele
Lyman 48 selection is further complicated by the myriad of styles and dimensions that evolved over time. The earliest examples had the 'full block' base with the elevation screw's bottom end being captive against the inside of the long slide and with relatively small adjusting knobs and 1/2-minute clicks. Later the sight was offered with larger target-style knobs and 1/3-minute clicks as well, with a shorter slide as described in the post above...
(Snip)
Regards, Joe

This sight features the full block base and the captive elevation screw.

Either way, it's the front sight I'm interested in finding out about the issue date - but it's all just curiosity around guessing the time that this rifle was made.

Could be any time after the sights were made.
The only marks from the maker that I've found so far are two punch marks and the number 50 inside the toe of the checkered steel buttplate.

Always something to ponder.

Tinker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The more I look at existing and available original Pacific catalogs, the more it looks like the company opened for business before 1928

It appears as if they got patents on sights and for a loading press in 1928, but as the catalog numbers seem to reflect annual (or nearly annual) revisions to the offerings, with Catalog 9 in 1933 and Catalog 10 in 1934, and I see a catalog number Fifteen dated 1937 -- I think early 1920's is more plausible.

What source do you have stating that Pacific Gun Sight Company started life in 1928?

Still pondering...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.