March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Hammergun, Dave K, buckstix, Der Ami, 2 invisible), 398 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,008
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Originally Posted By: Gr8day
Good news for Guns International IMO

Until the AG from the buyer's State hits them with a lawsuit to collect on all sales for the last year?...Geo

Probably applies to our for sale forum here on Doubdlegunshop as well...Geo

George,

I retired as a CPA last month and based on my understanding of Guns International's marketing model I don't believe they have to collect sales tax because they are not involved as an intermediary in the sale. GI charges a fee to list the gun for sale whether or not the gun sells, charges no additional fee if the gun sells and the payment is directly between the buyer and the selling dealer.

If my understanding of GI's relationship to the sale is correct if they are responsible to collect sales tax then a newspaper is also responsible for sales through their classified ads.

Sales here are not subject to sales tax except directly to any seller who exceeds the number of transactions or dollar amount established by the various state implementation laws and thereby creates nexus.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/sell-guns-online/membership-fees.cfm

Sidelock
Sidelock

Amazon has a good page with links to all the states rules. This started rolling out about 1-2 years ago giant companies like ebay and amazon being the first forced to collect.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202211260

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was shocked when eBay charged my buyer sales tax on a fly rod I sold a few months ago. The big sellers on eBay had been charging sales tax for a while; now, it seems all transactions are subject to it regardless of whether the seller is just unloading personal items.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Flychamps, I'm not a real lawyer anymore just and old retired one and I ain't looking up nothing about taxes for free. So you are probably right in your advice above.

The States have been working on internet sales tax for years. I think it is a pity...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It would be interesting to see how they document a specific transaction and payment to the state. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

what would also be interesting is if internet sales brokers like gb and gi, would just simply refuse to collect sales tax on behalf of any state...and definitely not on any tea transactions...

due to the last election, civil rebellion is in the air...

why not tax rebellion, as well?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Unless things changed again when I was not paying attention, the SCOTUS case that allowed sales tax mandates on internet sales had an exception for certain vendors. Pretty sure it is still the case that vendors who ship less than $10K per year into any state do not have to collect sales tax for that state. Example: a vendor who ships less than $10K per year into Oregon does not have to collect sales tax for Oregon. Same vendor shipping more than $10K into California does have to collect sales tax and remit to CA. The big aggregators and sell-through operators like Amazon and eBay developed software for their vendors to track all the different state and local tax rules as a service to their sellers. They are probably applying that service across the board, without regard to dollar volume, because they have no way to track that volume though multiple sales channels. Anyone able to clarify?

Sidelock
Sidelock

You are correct that SCOTUS accepted the concept of a de minimis number of transactions or dollar amounts but did not specify what would qualify for de minimis - only that SD's $100,000 or 200 transactions met their standard.

The real abomination here is that the US Congress has not passed a law that would make filing these multiple state returns less of a burden for smaller business' that do not have a physical presence (nexus) in a state. Each state has their own filing requirements, forms and items taxed and the rates taxed, which makes filing a nightmare for small business ' filing in multiple states where they do not have a physical present.

The "marketplace facilitators" like Ebay and Gunbroker are considered the seller and must aggregate all transactions. They're stuck and we're screwed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

jes simply refuse to pay da damn tax...

we did hit befo, we can do hit agin...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.