April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (mel5141, SKB, PALUNC), 1,019 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,273
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nitrah Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I know it probably depends on the wood but is 3/8" reasonable? I have bent stocks up and down but not for cast and not pistol grip stocks

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

I sure hope so. I'm going to do one this winter. I've bent them that much down, but only about 1/2 that sideways. Now I have a gun with 3/4" of cast off. Need to take half of it out.

What sort of wood?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nitrah Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I assume Circassian walnut

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Then it will probably bend well unless it has some underlying grain issues.

I have heard that American black walnut will not take bending well, but I have never tried.

Do you have a jig and set up for the job?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

What gun?
Through bolt?
Thanks
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
I never open the hole or bend the bolt. I bend through bolt stocks like any other, with one exception, I clamp the head the the stock together if bending for cast. Hope that helps,
Steve

If you bend for cast then the trigger guard needs to be bent. I bend them cold, not that complex, if you you do right. Twist it at the hole and you have a real mess on your hands.

I bend stocks fairly often. Bending for drop is usually more difficult than for cast and pistol grip stocks tend to be more difficult to bend than straight hand stocks. That said, German guns usually have stocks of thin shell walnut which bends better than black. Typically a bend at heel will yield about 1/3 the change at comb. How much change you want and current dimensions will factor heavily into the feasibility of the bend.

I find the through bolt causes few issues but I always clamp the head of the stock while bending through bolt guns. It seems to work for me. Some guns do need to be bent multiple times to stay put, why I do not know.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

So Comforting....

quOtes from the resident Gun fArmer.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Nitrah
I know it probably depends on the wood but is 3/8" reasonable? I have bent stocks up and down but not for cast and not pistol grip stocks

Yes that is reasonable, a good amount of bend to be sure but I have pushed them farther when bending for cast.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a friend with a Orlen pattern jig. He has bent dozens of stocks. He tried to bend several Fox (Black Walnut) stocks for me without success. He successfully bent a stock on a B.C. Miroku with no problem, as well as a gun with French walnut. Black walnut might be bend resistant.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Black walnut is more bend resistant than thin shell in my experience, but black can often be bent. It usually seems to take more time under a lamp and often several bends but it can be done on many black walnut stocks.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.