Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gold40
When I deer hunt now, at age 80, I only shoot does or young bucks with small racks, I leave the bigger deer for the younger hunters. I'm not about to pay a taxidermist $500 to have another 10 point shoulder mount; and don't want to see a nice rack wasted.

Is it not wasted if the buck dies of malnutrition after his teeth deteriorate, or the coyotes pull him down in his weakened condition and begin eating him alive? Then, the squirrels eat away that beautiful rack to nothing?

Not arguing, just asking.

Many more big bucks die that way than are ever taken by hunters.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
Oh it is always about you and your princess Billie K isn't it?

This is a private forum Bozo, You are not entitled to free speech here.

Maybe read that Constitution sometime, You might learn something.

Hahaha, this is hilarious... coming from the Official State Fruit of Colorado, Queen Stevie! Once Queen Stevie exited the birth canal, he/she never wanted anything to do with a woman ever again.

After I got home from deer hunting last night, I was entertained to see how Queen Stevie told us how extremely busy he/she was... just swamped with gunsmithing work. This was while Queen Stevie was repeatedly checking in and posting here all day, and attempting to disrupt yet another gun rights thread. Queen Stevie was also once again repeatedly knocking Republicans while never uttering a peep about anti-gun Liberal Left Democrats. I guess that's why John Roberts recently asked:

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
Steve, Are you a Democrat?

JR

Sometimes we ask questions that we already know the answer to. Of course, the Democrats are all about rights for fruitcakes, so it all makes sense for Queen Stevie.

Now all we need is a two-faced Canadian weasel to cry that I started it.

Still pulling the trigger... Libtard hunting 101!

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do believe Her'sheys stalking me too...

Lucky i have a gOOd nose for fish.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well for me it is not time to hang up the guns for hunting. I spent two days hunting with my middle son on some walk in public waterfowl hunts. Mile and half walk in, packing in all our gear. Stale ducks and very cautious geese. Scraped out two geese and five mallards the first day. Got one real nice drake widgeon, six mallards and three geese the second day. Every duck was earned to be sure. But doing it with him, watching him become the hunter I always hoped he would be was worth it. I know he will be hunting long after I am gone and taking his son or daughter and wife with him. All I can ask for.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great memories, Jon.

Those geese, along with the ducks, are a tough "tote" when you've got to carry them 1 1/2 mi. to the truck. Whew!

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ever notice how the trek back seems shorter and less tiring that the one in if you have game in hand? But yes, by the end I was glad we did not come close to a three goose limit each on geese.

My memories of this hunt may last 20 years at best but his will last 50 or more. I hope so anyways. I still have memories of hunting with my grandfathers back in the early 1960's. Both taught me not to shoot a ducks we did not value as food, just so we could kill something and taught me the bag size is not the judge of the hunts success. Lesson learned.

We did not shoot at several Spoonbills and small diver ducks which just plunged right into our spread. Where we were they are not very good table fare I am told. We did watch them pick up and fly to another group's decoy spread about 300 yards away, who were not as picky. But as my son said he would rather have one nice Mallard than five little divers he could not enjoy eating and they had been fun to watch in the decoys. Lesson passed along.

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Had to stop upland game hurting as I can't see my dog, much less any birds that flush. Doves are out of the question. And way too dangerous to walk in the woods for fear of poking my one remaining blurry eye out. I really missed not being able to walk the logging trails in Manitoba this year, just for the smell of the spruce/aspen forest, hear the ravens squawk, and pick mushrooms. But my kid and I did try a little pass shooting on mallards and pintails where I was hoping to see a low bird early enough to get an overhead shot, but alas the birds were not flying that morning, so didn't fire a shot. We had a poor flight of diving ducks again this fall, so did not get out in my boat where I hoped to shoot some birds in the water among my decoys. Still a lot of fun to be out there a bit and see hunters using my habitat plots.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a fantastic layout boat hunt in November on a coastal marsh. Hundreds of ducks were flying all around me, some landing very close. It was exactly what I envisioned when I bought my aquapod a few years ago. I could have shot several limits, but only took a few. It was wonderful.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like your ethics, Lee- I've been hunting ducks and geese since age 10- my first shotgun, a 20 bore Stevens single shot, hammerless and 28" mod. choke- then at 14 with Dad's M12 20 ga,again, 28" mod.choke. Learned this dispatch technique from a guide in Canada, assuming you have a crippled bird, even a goose, on dry land that you want to finish off- put the dying creature chest down on the ground, and place one knee right on its back, and your weight will allow the bird to suffocate and die without any trauma-- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fox is right. I took a Northwestern School of Taxidermy course as a kid and the first lesson covered that method of dispatching a bird without mussing the feathers. Only difference was to use your boot in place of a knee...Geo

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.