April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (rwarren, susjwp, PALUNC, mel5141, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 372 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,810
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#586301 12/05/20 07:43 PM
LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For those that have used the venerable Youngs 303 over the decades....what have you noticed about the two formulas? The first thing I noticed is the trademark smell is quite different. The new formula doesnt have that old vintage gun case/ gun shop smell like the old stuff. I havent noticed if it works any different or not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well I did when they changed the formula. As usual the Health and safety Joy Police insisted that the products used in its manufacture Phenol and Creosote where removed also the couple of lines on the rear of the tin indicating that it could be used as an Antiseptic went in to history. Changing its smell and deficiency to the point I put my tin in the waste collection and started to use "Ed's Red". Besides the previous mentioned products I will add a few more that the Joy Police have had a down on. Household Bleach so watered down it is useless, Carbon Tetrachloride solvent this did not turn into a raging inferno at the slightest spark like the solvents we use toddy. Mercuric Chloride, Lead Salts, useful for so many things. Now on the hard to obtain list here, Potassium Nitrate, Concentrated Nitric and Sulphuric Acid, Industrial Alcohol, just to name a few. And what is more annoying we have stood around and let these faceless people get away with doing it. My thoughts on life is this, when you where born no one put a life guarantee certificate in your hand it is up yo your good self to take charge and make your own decisions on what is safe and what is not for YOU!

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Damascus,
I hear you loud and clear. I bought my latest tin of Youngs more out of nostalgia than anything else. I like the way it looks on my gun cleaners shelf in the man cave. The formula is definitely different, no doubt. . I think its the creosote thats lacking that changed the tell tale smell of the good stuff . Thats a shame. One of my good gun making pals has a old oiler on the work bench and I always grab it and jam it in my nostrils and take a wiff. Its the old formula and I absolutely love the way it smells. The oiler and the youngs inside are probably 50 years old.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.