March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
12 members (eeb, earlyriser, Hammergun, ChiefAmungum, 2 invisible), 376 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,987
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Letfly, you would not neutralize an acid with vinegar - which is also acidic.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

BrentD, good point. Some do this on furniture, but perhaps for another reason. I will use a soda wash as I do when cleaning metal with peracetic acid.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Closest Lowe's and Home Depot is nearly an hour's drive from me. I ordered a tub of Savogran Oxalic Acid from eBay for $12 and some change, free shipping. It'll be here before I would have a chance to drive there.

I had an almost unbelievable experience at the Home Depot there years ago. I was looking for metal studs, AIR. I found them but they were on the top shelf of those high multi-shelf racks on either side of the aisles. I got an employee to come. I said I want those, and pointed up high at them. He stammered, looked at them, then said "You'd be better off to go across the street and get them at Lowe's". I stared at him in disbelief, and said okay. I went straight and found the manager, told him what the employee had said, and pointed him out to him. Last thing I saw was the manager headed his way.

Loves me some ebay. If those places won't hire better help than that I don't owe them any loyalty.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kutter
The wet, warm stock wood can be easily bruised in this condition so be careful with it.

Reading back over your directions for the use of the wood bleach I noticed the above. Nowhere prior did you mention warming the stock wood prior to the use of the bleach, only the water. Did you omit that, or is warming the wood not necessary?

Thanks again for the excellent instructions.

I have a perfect "patient" waiting for the "medicine" order to arrive. I have used whiting on it for over a year and no more oil is coming to the surface. It wasn't really that bad to begin with. But ........ there are black stains in several places that need removing before staining and finishing.

Thanks, SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

The wood will be warm from the warmed soln application of the oxalic acid while you are brushing it on or dunking the wood into it.
No need to warm up the wood itself in any way like under a light bulb or with a heat gun, ect. At least I've never done that or seen the need to.

The stock will cool off of course when you flush the stuff off.
The main thing is to just be extra careful with the wet wood. It dents and bruises very easily.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Kutter.

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Back to forend repair prior to finish and recut checkering

Divot to be repaired

Divot repair in progress

Practice piece first

Last edited by LetFly; 12/04/20 12:53 PM.
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stains removed with oxalic acid solution - 2 tsp in 8oz hot water. Soda water and clear water rinse. Air dry.

My thanks to all on this thread.

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I decided to give the wood one more treatment with the oxalic acid. After reviewing my go to reference on wood finishing by Flexner I decided to follow his advice and leave the solution on until it dried, then rinse off with clean water and neutralize with soda water or ammonia bath. I used soda. Results are excellent. Now I have the walnut piece from 1893.

Oxalic solution dried on wood:

Cleaned forend:

Wiped with mineral spirits

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Divot repair results

(thanks to Craig Budgeon over on the Parker forum for guiding me through this repair)

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.