March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (canvasback, Argo44, Hammergun, fallschirmjaeger, 2 invisible), 796 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A few more photos on the forend. Wood cleaned and now ready for grain filling, nick repair, finish.

Checkering to be recut after finish

Nothing like a good project.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nor really sure from the pictures but those black spots should come out with a dilute mixture of Oxalic acid and then rinsed.

So many guns, so little time!
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks. I have not used Oxalic acid before. I will check it out. Any advice on use?

Sidelock
Sidelock

It should be available in any hardware store and is fairly inexpensive (or it was). You put a few white crystals in an ounce of water and mix it up. Mine looks like salt so a pinch of salt is what I use. I use a small stiff brush and dab it on. It will work in less than a minute in my experience. It will bleach stains especially the black ones where metal meets wood. It does not leave a stain. I rinse the wood off in cool water since it is an acid and you probably don't want to leave it on for long.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll second the use of Wood Bleach (Oxalic Acid)

I put about a 1/2 teaspoon of the crystals in a quart jar of plain water.
Then heat the stirred mixture in the microwave for 30 to 40 seconds.
That warms it up just nice and it seems to work really well.

The directions on the mfg'rs packaging are to mix in hot water. But just warmed up seems to be fine.

I slosh it on with a piant brush,,even dunk pieces like the forend right into the jar if they'll fit. One end then the other.

You'll see the black marks and other discolorations go away right while your are doing this as well as the wood lighten up in color.
It won't bleach it to 'white'. Just lighten the orig color and overall even the color of the piece.

Flush with cool water and again use the brush gently.
The wet, warm stock wood can be easily bruised in this condition so be careful with it.

Shake it dry and then let it dry naturally.
It won't take very long to appear dry,,30 minutes or so. But let it dry over nite at least before doing anything to it further.
Resist the temptation to speed dry with a torch flame , stove burner or even leaving it in direct sunlight.
You don't want to chance burning edges of the inletting nor warping anything.

Here's the stuff I've been using since forever.
I bought it at HomeDepot and other like stores..
https://savogran.com/pdfs/Wood_Bleach_PD.pdf

In the last year for some reason, I get strange looks when I asked for the stuff as it wasn't on the shelf in the normal spot in the Paint Dept.
They didn't know what I was even talking about.

So I did find a Deck cleaner that is Oxalic Acid. ,,and bought that instead. I think it's Thompson's brand.
It works just as well but is a liquid mix. I used it 1:1 w/water and it seemed OK.

There were 2 Deck Cleaners...The above and another that was for use in a power washer. This one contained detergent and a 'grit' to clean off the old finish....Not the one you want.

The first one clearly states..Active ingredient Oxalic Acid

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kutter, thanks yet again for an excellent tutorial. I was considering posting a question here about how to use Oxalic acid. Now, there's no need.

Bravo!

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oxalic acid (aka wood bleach) is also available in the paint section at my local True Value hardware store - I would imagine it is available in all True Value stores. I bought it for treating my honeybees for mites just last weekend.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kutter

In the last year for some reason, I get strange looks when I asked for the stuff as it wasn't on the shelf in the normal spot in the Paint Dept.
They didn't know what I was even talking about.

Over the last month, I have been doing some work on a house that my daughter bought. In several recent trips and phone calls to Lowes and Home Depot, I have encountered an alarming number of their employees who don't even know what drywall or plywood is. No exaggeration, they actually have no idea what department those items are in, to direct inquiries for pricing, etc.

Based upon my recent experience when I asked in what aisle I would find spackling compound, I'd imagine that a similar query about oxalic acid would result in wasting about 30 minutes of your life. I'm sorry, but when you hire someone to work in a home improvement and building supply warehouse, they should not be ignorant about even basic things. On my last trip to Home Depot, the cashier had no clue how to run her cash register.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks all. As this is an acid do you neutralize with soda as they recommend in the furniture restoration trade? Do you worry about corrosion where wood and metal contact?

Last edited by LetFly; 12/02/20 01:58 PM. Reason: removed reference to vinegar
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I always rinses well then neutralize with baking soda.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.