March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Dan R, Longknife, canvasback, j7l2, 2 invisible), 359 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,985
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Any opinions on using this product on my 1893 G Parker in a wood refinishing project? I have read quite a lot about AR on this forum but have never used it in a wood refinish. This is sold on eBay.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never heard of it, but it certainly looks interesting. thanks for posting, and sorry I can't help.
http://www.sbmcwilliams.com/

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've got a bottle of his London Blend. wrote a long post thinking that was the same thing as his alkanet stain, which I don't believe he was selling at the time I bought his finish.

I see no reason not to use his alkanet oil-- assuming it's appropriate to use alkanet on the particular gun.

Last edited by Woodreaux; 11/26/20 11:58 AM.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

I used to use alkanet root stain, but found that this stuff is better.

https://www.garrettwade.com/behlen-solar-lux-ngr-dye-stain-gp.html

Non-grain raising, very penetrating, very even coverage, very transparent so as to enhance the grain rather than obscure it, and UV resistant. It is available in Blood Red, Medium Red Mahogany, and several other shades. We use epoxies and PVA wood glues today because they are superior to what was available 100 years ago. We now have wood finishes far better than boiled linseed oil. So it is with this.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Alkanet or not to alkanet that is the question? My answer is this "it is your gun so re finish it in the way you see fit. But there is always a but isn't there, so I will start with this "a gun or any thing else for that matter is Original only once". So the question is do I try to re finish my gun as close to original as possible or do I just re finish it using todays products both have plus and minus points on their side.
Original finish especially if the gun is getting on in years it will use products that where available at the time of its manufacture. As far as guns are concerned they require maintenance especially the stock finish, well if you have a pair of good leather shoes you don't expect to only polish them once in their lifetime do you? Today we folks want every thing fast and over the last fifty years technology has worked towards the removal of the maintenance person and maintenance of every day objects in our lives, Motor vehicles and Electrical goods come to mind.
So why would I use original products on a hundred plus year old gun, they do say a picture is worth a thousand words so in the picture is my hundred and fifty year old gun that was completely refinished after mechanical restoration in the nineteen sixties because the only finish it had was 100% rust. The stock colour is Alkanet with traditional Brit finishing oil with a Linseed oil and Copal base, this requires a maintenance rescheme of the tip of your finger dipped in Linseed Oil and rubbed into the stock, winter months wax polish applied to the stock especially the wood to metal joints to keep water out and to give that English gun stock luster. Wax is also applied to the barrel browning to keep the water out well it is rust after all.
After the restoration gun in the picture did not look like it does now in fact it looked rather to bright and new looking but over the last sixty years its looks have mellowed with age looking more like a Victorian lady rather than a 1020's flapper after the finishes have aged even down to the barrel browning wear. This may not be for you and you would like your gun to look continually new and that is what a lot of modern finishes will give you because they do not age as the older ones , and there is nothing wrong with that because in the end it is your gun to do with as you see fit.

[

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

A beautiful gun Damascus.
Pete

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks. I like to think that I am refurbishing rather than refinishing a gun when required. Refurbish is a lesser degree of replacement of the decades of witness to honest use. I use my guns afield and my goal is to keep them sound both of metal and wood without erasing history. I see nothing wrong with a refinish on Damascus when required. After all this service was offered by all quality gun makers. Ancient wood requires care if you are going to take the gun outside and into the fields and thickets. As to finish I have read much about Alkanet in the pages of this forum. I like the look, but it may not be right for the Parker. Again thanks for your insight. Beautiful Purdey.

My refurbished Lefever G at the end of an afternoon's outing.(It's history chronicled in "Stock repairs yikes" on this forum)

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a fine shotgun LetFly. I would like to try shooting a Lefever like that someday.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: damascus
Alkanet or not to alkanet that is the question?

With apologies to those offended by corny puns, I believe you mean... "Alkanet or Alkanot?"

Of course, that question is a matter of opinion.

My opinion is two fold:
1. when one has chosen a century old gun with wood stocks, exposed hammers, and hand engraving e.g., over a modern cerakoted auto loader, he has already rejected the fundamental principles of technocentrism. It's ok to continue along the same path when making subsequent decisions about the gun as well. e.g. using paper shells with fiber wadding or carrying the gun in a wood and leather trunk. So it is with the finish.
2. It is undeniable that the coloring and "dull London finish" that one obtains with a traditional alkanet and slacum is different in feel and appearance than modern stains and poly based finishes, whether they are better or not in practical matters.

If it were my Parker (or Purdey), I would use the closest thing to the original as possible (or at least a 'period correct' finish), because that would increase my enjoyment of the gun.

Originally Posted By: LetFly
I like the look, but it may not be right for the Parker.

I'm curious why you came to this conclusion. Did Parker not use alkanet?

Jim
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.