March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, Marc Ret, graybeardtmm3, Ian Forrester, 1 invisible), 832 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought and sold a number of guns through Steve and enjoyed talking with him at shows. He was always a pleasure to deal with, a nice guy who will be badly missed.

Rich
tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Talked to him more then a few times at the NE SXS event. Had some excellent guns for sure. He will be missed in the vintage gun world.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would always stop at his table in Tulsa and visit a few minutes. Suckered one time for a fine Sauer. Super man! Too few of his type around......we have lost a fine man.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had the occasion to talk with him on the phone and found him always pleasant and informative. The double gun world has truly lost a great man. My prayers for him and his family. I do hope his son will continue his legacy.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: arrieta2
My understanding his son will try to run it

John Boyd

I wish August, Steve's stepson who has been on the scene for a few months, and Jo Ann, Steve's wife, the very best of luck going forward. Tough duty for sure.

But I don't see how that will be anywhere near a possibility. Steve's knowledge and acquisition skills were not replaceable or transferable. It's too easy to make a $20,000 mistake on a Purdey. Steve Barnett had learned over 30 some-odd years how to avoid that. Effort is no substitute. Again, I wish them the very best.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 11/24/20 01:51 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Agreed, John. His breadth of knowledge was amazing, especially his mental Rolodex of just the right people to call for just the right guns. What many dont know is that many of Steves guns never made it online, being sold with just a few phone calls or emails.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For sure, Tom, more than anyone really knows. I handled many rare pieces that, when I asked Steve how it would be priced, he would reply, "it's already sold".

Those of us who were close to Steve knew he had a buyer that really blew his business wide open several years ago. Steve's exact words about this person were, "he told me he wanted to acquire the finest gun collection there is, and I intend to see to it he gets it", lol.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 11/25/20 01:49 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I only met Steve once, the only time I went to Tulsa. His inventory was only a fraction then of what it is now. Had a nice chat about a 16ga Beretta sxs that had him in a bit of a quandary.

Easy enough, for sure, to go to his website and be very impressed. Have a cup handy to catch the drool.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bought from and sold to Steve. Always fair with me buying or selling. Rest in Peace.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

I spoke with Steve on numerous occasions at the Vintagers, Las Vegas, and Southern Side by Side. He was always friendly and outgoing. There were many times I would have struck up a conversation with him but didn't, because he stayed so busy.

I had two transactions with him; both of which illustrate good integrity. The first was for the purchase of a Westley Richards Mod. 1897 single shot rifle. It was a .400/360 NE. On the phone he cautioned that the bore was quite worn. He offered to send it to me for an extended trial, including firing the rifle. True to what he said, the rifle would only shoot keyholes. It went back with no reservation or hassle whatsoever.

The second was for the purchase of a stellar PD Farquharson in .450/400 3-1/4" NE. That rifle needed no excuses, and it still resides in my gun safe today.

R.I.P.

Curl

Last edited by CptCurl; 11/25/20 07:53 AM.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.