April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (bushveld, 1 invisible), 1,133 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

The ever popular suggestion for a first double hasn't been made yet, so I will. An Ithaca/SKB. Not exactly vintage or American, but dependable, quality doubles, they are. Depending on chokes you could shoot steel (in my opinion) as well. Certainly within your budget.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Canvasback, thanks for that info sir. Not worth it for sure on a low end gun. I have been a Remington fan for a long time. I have many Remington rifles and a few 1100 LT and LW 20's. My youngest rifle was born in 2001. I feel like the quality, as with several manufactures, is lacking in recent history. And for some reason I don't find the 1900 Remingtons very attractive. I have looked at several. A friend of mine has one that he will never part with.

On a side note I did not realize until a few weeks ago that Remington filed for bankruptcy again and is actually being parted out by the courts. Damn shame.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Walter thanks for the clarification on the Ithaca / Lefever I will give them a look also.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fishsticker, bear in mind that some of the older guns, such as early Sterlys, can have considerable drop in the stock compared with later guns. Some folks have trouble adjusting to the drop. Gil

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

GLS, yes I have been trying to make sure that the measurements when given are reasonably close to what I think I can deal with. I can usually adjust my style to work with most shotguns for wing shooting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
No-Joe- that was the Ithaca Flues designs-- But the best double for the $ today is a Ithaca NID- I bought one (Grade 2E 12-30" DT from Brad Bachelder 6 years ago-love it-foolproof- Brad told me the action, frame,trigger(s) were of the same quality as a M21- and I do own a M21 as well. I'd stay away from Parkers, L.C. Smiths, but the Ithaca made Lefever box locks are good guns. Double triggers and std extractors are also best for your entry level double- and make sure the stock dims fit your size. RWTF

No, it was not. jOe has a good memory, and there were several photos posted of Fox frames that had cracked. Drew may or may not have the files at this late date.

The Foxes in question may or may not have had restoration work, such as re-case coloring, done to them. The questions were never answered in a satisfactory manner. We had yelling, back and forth, but, the pictures were all we really had, and I seem to think it was four or five different guns.

The cracked frame sub gauge Flues guns are fairly well documented, along with the reasons.

We never got to that point with the Foxes.

Best,
Ted

Thanks Ted....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: FISHSTICKER
GLS, yes I have been trying to make sure that the measurements when given are reasonably close to what I think I can deal with. I can usually adjust my style to work with most shotguns for wing shooting.

That might work for most things but not too well for wing shooting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Flues Model Ithaca frames cracked in all gauges.

As far as entering the American made side-by-side market, you might be better off with a new gun such as the CSMC RBL. Cryogenically treated barrels with tuf-coat bores, 12- and 20-gauge come with choke tubes, don't have to worry about what you shoot in them.

Choice of straight or capped pistol grip, slim or beavertail forearm, double or single selective trigger and grades of wood.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, I have a pile of Fox and a few Ithaca's in my various watch list. Not bidding or buying anything yet but after I drink a few this evening that could change smile.

Thank you guys again for all the info.

Eddie.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Quite the cool history Researcher. What a neat exchange between Ithaca and the Owner and thank you for sharing that. Was a different era when we had to write letters. Maybe a better time. I have too many guns according to my wife and I guess it's hard to argue with her when you start approaching triple digits. I have enough modern guns to beat around with. Like most of you guys I just always loved the look, feel, and idea of a vintage double and now I'm going to buy one to put in the safe to keep my Remington model 10, Winchester 1873, Remington Model 14, Colt Single Action Army, Remington model 341...and all the other junk I have bought over the years company on the "old gun side".

Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.