March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jason Dubois, gunmaker, Lloyd3, 2 invisible), 329 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just for conversation, builder I think you risk very little by using the the firing pin without heat treatment.

David is correct that the proper way to harden and temper O-1 requires specific times and temperatures. You can look it up and see that it would be impossible to do by feel or sight. On the other hand, if you do want to try the hardening, O-1 will definitely get harder using basic approaches. No doubt, my comment about tempering in an oven will leave the pin harder than necessary, if it did in fact achieve maximum hardness, but again it was a thought to simplify your home approach. It'll work out, have fun with it.

builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

David, long time since spending time with you.

I don't have a lathe so this will be a slow process of mounting in a drill, spinning it using files to adjust size. Do I assume both 01 tool steel and S7 tool steel is soft enough to work with files?

Is there a difference in 01 tool steel and 01 drill rod?

This is a straight firing pin with a .240" diameter by .05" belt in the middle. The firing pin is roughly 1/8" diameter and the rear of the pin is about 3/16". The whole thing is about 0.6" long. I am starting with a .250 rod. I will try Fastenal tomorrow hopefully as per Craig's suggestion.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Milt, yes long time no see, great to at least talk with you here. Having knee problems and will get it operated on before Christmas so haven't been doing any shooting since the last Thanksgiving shoot.

Yes you can work them both with files.

01 tool steel and 01 drill rod are the same and use oil for quenching.

If you have trouble doing it, especially the 1/8" part let me know and I can make it for you.

David

builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Craig, you must have been typing when I was. I agree it is worth a try without heat treating. I have seen a few videos including one from Midway that shows just heating cherry red the tip and the very back and quenching in oil. This is a small firing pin and I am not sure if I can heat such a small area. Midway looks like he is using an acetylene plumbers torch.

builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

David, I hope your surgery is easy with a quick recovery. My wife just had knee surgery for a torn Meniscus. It went well and she has fully recovered.

Thanks for clarifying drill rod. tool steel and S7. And thanks for the offer to finish it if I have trouble with it. Fastenal has short lengths of both tool steel and S7 for under $4 so I might just buy both and see. As Craig says I will try to have fun with it. If I cannot do it I just might contact you. I think I will know as soon as I put file to metal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My German friend taught me to harden firing pins so the rear part is hard, but the tip is spring hard. He heated the whole thing cherry red and guench in oil, polish bright and then the tricky part. He heated rear part to "straw", while "playing it in and out of the flame ( propane torch) while watching the color. The rear being heavier than the tip, heat would travel to the tip faster and when the tip turned blue, immediately back in the oil.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 11/23/20 09:52 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
My German friend taught me to harden firing pins so the rear part is hard, but the tip is spring hard. He heated the whole thing cherry red and guench in oil, polish bright and then the tricky part. He heated rear part to "straw", while "playing it in and out of the flame ( propane torch) while watching the color. The rear being heavier than the tip, heat would travel to the tip faster and when the tip turned blue, immediately back in the oil.
Mike

This makes a good recommendation for a 2-part pin with the tip being a piece of shaped and polished spring wire, and the body of the pin of some other harder material. Then just glue the two together.

Actually, this is very common with singleshot rifles in particular. Almost all of mine eventually come to this configuration.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent,
Yes, I have done that too, when the pin on an internal hammer broke.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
Brent,
Yes, I have done that too, when the pin on an internal hammer broke.
Mike

Do you think it would be a better option for the OP given his limited machining capabilities? Perhaps he could keep the old firing pin body, if he still has it.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent,
No, I think the way he intends to make it is best, considering equipment on hand.
Mike

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.